Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Incredible!

          It was a very nice Christmas gift - two tickets to Sight and Sound in Lancaster to see the spectacular performance of "Jesus".   We really looked forward to attending.  But health problems made it difficult for us to do so.
          We knew we were running out of time since the last show in Lancaster would be October 5.  With all of our appointments there were only three remaining shows for which we could get seats.  So we made a purchase trusting the Lord that we would be well enough to attend.  And we were!
          Our tickets were in the very last row in the balcony.  We sat in that area before and found the seats to be excellent because you could clearly see everything in the wrap around stage.  But we were younger and in better health when we sat there before.
          The balcony is very steep and the seats were low to the floor.  The backs of the seats in front of us were at our shoe level.  The rows were narrow with very little leg room and there were no rails in front of us or behind us to help us get up.  Once we were seated I began to question how we'd ever get out of our seats to go home.  With our physical problems it is often hard to get out of any seat in a normal situation.  Would I fall trying to get up and roll down a few rows? Could I get on the floor and crawl out until I could reach a rail to pull myself up? You normally don't think of these challenges when you are young with good balance. 
          But at the end of the show, after four attempts using my cane, I was finally able to stand and get my balance.  Then I was able to use my arm to help my wife stand.  We made it.  We had to - we couldn't afford to stay and pay for more shows.
          In the opening announcements they asked everyone to turn off their cell phones - taking pictures was prohibited.  However, when the lights went out, from our high location we could see dozens of phones still lit up throughout the audience. People, especially tourists, can be rude.  Fortunately, during the show most of the lights/phones/cameras were off.
          Now the show was spectacular and the scenes touched my heart.  It was amazing to see the stories from the gospels portrayed so vividly and thoughtfully.  Their professional performance was outstanding.
         One of my favorite scenes was that of the disciples in the boat on the sea during a storm.  The water looked real.  The thunder and lightening made you feel that you were in the storm.  And then Jesus appeared and walked on the water and commanded the storm to stop.  Incredible reminder and portrayal of the power that Jesus had over the elements.
          But maybe the most impressive scenes were those of Jesus being taken prisoner, His trial, His crucifixion, His burial and then His Resurrection.  You had to be touched as you watched this portrayed.
         And from a performance standpoint it was amazing to watch an actor, dressed as a angel, descending and ascending to the stage from the fourth floor of the auditorium.
          Throughout the performance I was often stirred to pray for the nearly two thousand throughout the audience who were hearing about Jesus, maybe some for the first time.  I asked the Holy Spirit to descend upon their hearts and lives.  Hopefully some will come to the Lord as a result of being there.
         Hopefully you too will have a chance to experience this portrayal of the Gospel before it closes on October 5.  Probably only a few seats in the balcony remain - but you can handle that location - we did.

(1)     Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.
Tell how the angels in chorus,
Sang as they welcomed His birth.
"Glory to God in the highest!
Peace and good tidings to earth."
Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.

(2)    Fasting alone in the desert,
Tell of the days that are past.
How for our sins He was tempted,
Yet was triumphant at last.
Tell of the years of His labor,
Tell of the sorrow He bore.
He was despised and afflicted,
Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.

(3)    Tell of the cross where they nailed Him,
Writhing in anguish and pain.
Tell of the grave where they laid Him,
Tell how He liveth again.
Love in that story so tender,
Clearer than ever I see.
Stay, let me weep while you whisper,
Love paid the ransom for me.
Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your ministry. Hymns carry a message that supports the Word of God and that is to be our focus. In my senior ministry, your comments have been a blessing to share with the people each Sunday in some way either verbally or in the worship folder. The hymn: "No, Not One!" has been a inspiration and comfort as we all realize that every day we are one day closer to eternity with God. Sunday, October 14, 2019 is Pastor Appreciation Day. Thank you for faithfully proclaiming the Word of God. Merle Davis with your and my friend, Claire Harstad.