Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Modern Frustrations

          Did you ever wish that you might have had a different career or occupation?  And if so, what would it have been?
          Now I can't say that I would have done anything else than work as a public school educator.  I thoroughly enjoyed my 39 years doing that.  And I thank the Lord for leading me that way and giving me the wisdom, strength and guidance that I needed to both do a good job and to enjoy what I was doing.  I would not change any of that.
         However, there is one area in which I wish that I had a better background - technology.   Technology developments - especially for computers - advanced so quickly in the latter part of my career.  I tried to keep up.  I went to Florida State for 12 credits in computer science.  I established the first computer lab in a high school in Lancaster County.  I introduced my students to hand calculators and programming.  I especially enjoyed programming. I even won a national award from a computer magazine. All of this was considered to be on the leading edge at those times. 
          Our school district was also a leader in the area in using technology and regularly offered excellent workshops for staff members.  I really felt on top of things .... until I retired.  Then all of those opportunities ended.  And 17 years is an eternity in technology development
          In the years that followed retirement I have continued to use Apple products.  They are expensive but easy to use and without problems that PC's experience.  I have run websites, done blogs, kept all sorts of records and done many things that I felt were creative and interesting.
          But then the problems began.  My computer suddenly would not support or use  modern browsers.  And it couldn't be upgraded to do so if I wanted to continue to use many of my valued software products - at least that is what I have been told.  Now that wasn't a major problem until suddenly I couldn't open or use some websites.
          The first major problem was with two of my investment sites.  That was a critical problem but I did find a way around that and that is still working for me at present.  The same came when the Awana site was changed but I found another browser which has been working for that.
          But my major blow came suddenly a few weeks ago when I could no longer reach my website host, BlueHost.  As a result I can't change or update my Awana site, fbfawana.com, which I have used for almost 20 years.  It is now dead.  I  spent hours talking with service techs at BlueHost, trying to understand all of their technology terms.  Did you ever try to talk to a computer expert?  Usually impossible.  They told me to try all sorts of things like Filezilla, and I did, without any success.  They claimed they had not recently made any changes in their site.  But an advertising e-mail which I received a few days later shared the "advantages" of their updated site and offerings. So much for the truth. They were of no help even though I have been their client for almost 20 years.
          What can I do about it?  Probably nothing other than purchase a new computer and new software and start all over.  That involves a lot of money, a lot of time, plenty of technology knowledge which I don't have and much energy.  Is it worth it?  Right now I don't know.
          But the problem will continue.  For several years I have been using the site Dropbox to send the powerpoints for Dianne's offertories to the technicians at church.  Suddenly my browsers aren't recognized by that site.  Incidentally they just upgraded their site as well.  I have been given some alternatives by the fellows at church but they also speak a different language than I do, suggestions I just don't understand.
          And what will be next?  Probably more frustration and disappointments.  If only I had somebody who spoke my language, understood computers and had the time to help me.  But i don't.  I've shared my needs with many without any responses or help.
         Maybe if I hadn't retired when I did, or maybe if I had taken more computer courses, or maybe if I had friends who were computer experts ...  maybe, maybe, maybe.

(1)   When your heart is aching, turn to Jesus,
He's the dearest Friend that you can know;
You will find Him standing close beside you,
Waiting peace and comfort to bestow.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
Go to Him today,
Do it now without delay.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
He will take your heartaches all away.


(2)   There is joy for every troubled sorrow,
Sweet relief for every bitter pain,
Jesus Christ is still the great Physician,
No one ever sought His help in vain.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
Go to Him today,
Do it now without delay.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
He will take your heartaches all away.

(3)   Jesus understands, whate'er the trouble,
And He waits to heal your wounded soul.
Will you trust His love so strong and tender?
He alone can make your spirit whole.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
Go to Him today,
Do it now without delay.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
He will take your heartaches all away.

No comments: