Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, May 29, 2020

And What Next?


        Not only has Covid19 changed all of our lives, but the changes are also changing.  Since nobody has ever dealt with this before, many original recommendations continue to be changed.
          Originally we were told to wear gloves and masks.  The recommendation for masks still stands, although many object to them and refuse to wear them.  Now I admit that they are a pain at time, but current recommendations claim they are important.  But breathing with them can be difficult after awhile.  What will it be like when summer finally comes?  And how will you sing with them on?  Will we ever reach a point where they can be discarded?  Will this recommendation ever change?
          Now what about gloves?  I thought that was a reasonable safeguard.  So I, like many, went out and invested in a large supply of gloves. But then they recently discovered that the virus does not stick to most surfaces as originally thought.  But it can stick to gloves
          Last Monday I went to my doctor with my mask and gloves.  At the check-in I was first told to discard my gloves, sanitize my hands, and then put on a new set of gloves which they provided.  Friday my wife went to the same medical practice.  They also told her to throw out her gloves and sanitize her hands.  But they didn't give her replacements.  Her doctor then told her that they have discovered that all the gloves actually do is pick up and carry the virus which you then often deposit on yourself when you touch your face. 
          So I guess gloves are no longer necessary.  But you do need to sanitize and especially wash your hands regularly.  And remember they need to be washed for at least 20 seconds - "Hal-le-lu Hal-le-lu hal-le-lu Hal-le-lu-jah, Praise ye the Lord!"  That chorus has become my favorite to use while I am washing my hands.
          Then there is the red-yellow-green system that has been used by our Governor in PA.  I really have questions about his system and the exceptions he has made.  For example, how are abortion clinics allowed to remain open?  The number of babies killed in them is not much different than the number of folks who have died from Covid19.  But our liberal leadership doesn't care.
         And how is he going to allow schools to open in the Fall as he has already announced?  It's my observation that this is a typical announcement by a "leader" who has never been a teacher or an educational administrator.  They often make major decisions about schools without having any experience working in them. Then they leave the school officials with the difficult task of implementing them.  How are they going to separate students in schools that are already overcrowded?  How are they going to safely feed the students?  How are they going to separate students on school busses?  Where will they get all the additional staff to do all of this?  Who is going to provide the funds needed to help schools which are now deeper in debt than ever before.  Oh yes, I guess there are always taxes.  However there are already some who are proposing legislation to prohibit schools from raising taxes.  No wonder our government is so wacky.
         And I am concerned about the changes that are allowing things to open probably sooner than they should, even though that seems to be what so many people want.   When my wife was with her doctor yesterday she was flatly told that the two of us should not attend church or even be pressured into attending.  It just isn't safe for us to do so.
           She also told my wife that her grandfather is a pastor and he shared how at one church they rushed to open services.  Their choir met to practice and then sing in their Sunday service.  They maintained the proper recommended distances.  I'm not sure if they used gloves or masks.  But about two weeks later about half of the choir members were suddenly diagnosed as having Covid19.  Was rushing the opening of services worthwhile?
          Well I wish things were back to normal.  I miss church, especially knowing that I may never be able to attend again.  I miss sports, especially the Phillies, the Eagles and Penn State.  I miss getting some of the medical tests and care that I really need.  But I especially miss my family.  It has been a real sacrifice not to visit with them. It has been about three months since we could see them in person.  And I just hope that the Lord allows us to at least attend my granddaughter's wedding in December.  
          But the Lord knows all about it and our trust is in Him.  I am often reminded of the words of an old hymn, "Oh Thou who changest not, abide with me."  Thankfully we serve a God who is faithful and loving - He doesn't change and He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  And Covid19 is no challenge for Him.

No comments: