Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Personal Observations on Isolation


        We're now about two months into our home isolation and we are finding many things that we are trying our best to adjust to.  Here are some of the things that have changed.
         First, I really miss being with my family.  While most of them do live close by, we all have been following the recommended guidelines and as a result we have not been together at all.  Fortunately our sons do call us frequently and that is a help.
          I also miss church and my church family.  Except for our family and some crank calls, our telephone seldom rings anymore.  Normally I would like that, but it does get boring sitting here at home and not hearing from friends, especially since I don't think you can get the virus over the phone.  We have heard a few times from friends who no longer attend our church, but not from friends who we assume are still attending there.  We try to at least keep communications going one way as we send out notes and birthday cards on a regular basis.  My wife also tries to call several folks regularly to encourage them. Unfortunately we can't text and that seems to be the way most folks communicate today.  However, we can e-mail and answer the phone.
          There are two calls that I especially miss, even though they ended eleven years ago.  I miss hearing from my brother who passed away in 2009.  He was an exceptional encourager and would call me or send me something whenever he knew that I needed cheering up. I really miss that and could use a call or two from him. 
          And I also miss talking to my dad who also died in 2009.  While, like me, he wasn't a great conversationalist, he was a very wise man with a real faith in God.  I miss his example, advice and wisdom, but I am also glad that he isn't here going through this panic.  I have always missed him, but it seems like recent events have made me wish even more that I could call him once again.
          I miss sports - baseball, football, basketball, and golf.  I am desperate enough to even miss hockey and racing.  Television programs are poor.  I am tired of reruns and what is labeled as "entertainment" today.
          I miss the opportunity to shop and purchase all the things that we need.  We have been ordering online and picking up our groceries, but we usually only get about half of what we ordered.  For example, we have not been able to get Bisquick or some meat online at any store.  I have also been ordering numerous other items online, especially medical items.  But one just needs to relax and wait until they finally arrive in the snail mail, often two or three weeks later.
          I miss being able to get service from stores that are closed.  Our washer has a problem and probably needs to be replaced.  We were hoping that it would hold on until we could get it repaired or replaced. But we did find that our appliance store now has begun to sell over the telephone and we were able to order a replacement. We've never bought something that expensive without first being able to see it.  When they finally can deliver it we'll see if that is a wise investment.  But it is the way things operate today.
         We also need a visit from our piano repair man but that is on hold until ... who knows when.  We need some trees trimmed and limbs removed and we can't do that anymore.  Fortunately we have gotten help with our weeding and grass cutting.
          We also miss being able to see a doctor face to face and get needed medical tests/exams.  We have had a few telephone visits but they just aren't the same.  But who really wants to go into their environment right now and try to escape without catching the virus?  So we continue to live with some physical challenges that we would normally deal with.
          Now, despite my complaining, there are some good things that are happening during this isolation.  I am spending much more time in prayer.   I am enjoying time in the Old Testament.  I am reading more (and taking more naps).  I am writing more.  I have added a new feature to my hymn blog - "Peace in the battle with Co-vid 19" in which I feature hymns of comfort.  Since I have begun that my weekly readership has grown from about 700 to  about 1,100.  I guess many others also need encouragement and peace in these troubled times.
          And as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I have done some things to try to encourage our friends and folks in our church.  She makes weekly calls to numerous folks, especially widows.  We send out e-mails, notes and cards to those who might be lonely or discouraged.   We hope that they are helped by these contacts.  Isolation and being alone can be tough - for all of us.
            So will things ever get back to normal?  Maybe not.  Our questions will continue.  Will we get the virus and will we survive it?  Will our family get it?  Will you get it if you go out for necessary visits such as to the grocery store or the doctor?  Will you be able to get the food and supplies which you need - including toilet paper?  Will you get it from touching your mail or newspaper?  Will you ever be able to hug your grandchildren again?  Will you ever be able to visit with friends again?  Will attending church ever be a possibility once again?
          Only the Lord knows the answers to these questions which cause us anxiety.  So we must trust Him  and take these questions to Him.  After all, as the old hymn says, we cannot bear these burdens alone and Jesus can help us, Jesus alone!
         Oh yes, one more question, will I  ever be able to get my hair cut again?

No comments: