Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Be A Blessing


        So what does one do during an pandemic?  Being sheltered at home eliminates many of the choices that you might normally make in a "normal" situation.
          You might spend your time during jigsaw or word puzzles.  You might spend time watching television or playing computer games.  You might spend time reading.  You might take naps - several of them.  You might try to catch up on your house cleaning.  You might pay bills and try to organize your finances. Maybe you have a hobby like painting or sewing or woodworking that can take up your time.  How about online shopping or even exercising? 
          There certainly are many ways to spend our unexpected free time.  But as the days drag on, many of these things can become boring, except maybe taking naps.  You can soon develop cabin fever, but hopefully not a real fever.
          Let me suggest a very important project - becoming a blessing to others.  
          With church activities canceled or put on hold, many of our opportunities to minister are no longer there.  Bible study teachers, musicians, ushers, greeters, child care workers, librarians, financial helpers, sound personnel, transportation helpers and many others are not presently needed.  So what opportunities are there to allow these folks to continue to minister?  Or should they just have an extended vacation from ministry?
          Let me suggest an area of ministry that is usually neglected by the church - people to people communications.  Not only do people need the Lord, but they also need human friends who care.  But how do you show you care?
          As I've mentioned in previous blogs, the telephone can become a real ministry tool.  Learn to use it regularly to encourage others.  Can you imagine what this time must be like for lonely widows or widowers?  Or how about folks who have physical limitations?  The days can be so long for these folks who are alone and think nobody really cares (and maybe they are right about this).
          Now I personally resist using the telephone but I love to communicate by e-mails.  That probably isn't as good as hearing an actual voice, but it is an easy way to communicate.  Now while we can't text, today most folks can.  So use what tools you have.
          Remember special events like birthdays and holidays.  But even better than those days are notes sharing "just thinking of you".  What an easy way to become a blessing to others.
          And if you are physically able, find some ways to help others, especially those who are limited in what they are able to do.  For example, we have a neighbor who daily brings our morning newspaper from the end of our drive to our front door.  What a help and blessing this effort is to us.
         If others don't share their needs with you, then take some time to think about the needs they might have.  Many years ago, during my mother's death, a family from our church unexpectedly showed up while we were away and cleaned up all of our leaves.  What a surprise.  How thoughtful and helpful.  What a blessing that was.  It is a gift that we have never forgotten.
          Many have lost their jobs and are now just scraping by.  They might be embarassed to share those needs, but a note of encouragement and a gift card just might "make their day".
          All of us have needs whether we are seniors, or handicapped, or living alone or discouraged or even a parent confined with children.  There must be something we can do to help them even if it is an encouraging personal contact.  Maybe they need something at the store.  Maybe they have some yard work that needs done.  Maybe there are some home repairs that need attended to.  Maybe they need a ride to the doctor or the pharmacy or to somewhere else.
          So instead of worrying about yourself, why not spend your time looking for ways to use this time to become a blessing to others. Ask the Lord to point you to others and their needs.  By helping them, you too will be blest.

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love,
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
Others will trust Him if only you prove
True, every moment you live. 
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Give as 'twas given to you in you need,
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed,
Unto your mission be true. 
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

No comments: