Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Year Ago

          It's now been a full year since the pandemic struck.  This past year has been difficult and we've all made adjustments that we never expected to make.  So I've decided to go back a year and see what I said in my blog at the beginning of this experience.  Here is the blog which I published on March 28, 2020.

          Oh how fast life can change!  Who would have thought a few months ago that a virus that many of us didn't even know existed would soon force us into isolation and drastically change our lives.
          Now this virus is serious and very dangerous, especially for those of us who are seniors.  Both my wife and I are now 79 and I think that qualifies us as being seniors.  I have COPD and diabetes and other serious issues.  My wife has UC, a pacemaker, recent heart surgery and a weakened immune system.  If we catch this virus we probably will enter heaven much sooner than expected.
          Because of this possibility we are taking every precaution that has been recommended.  We wash our hands regularly.  We stay away from people.  We use the computer for online ordering and communication.  And as of Saturday our county is now in a "lock down".  We must stay at home except for necessary grocery shopping and medical needs. The virus has "imprisoned" us.
          Of course we have abandoned all church activities.  And the longer we are out, the more we miss the people.  Like many churches, ours has begun to stream sermons and Sunday School lessons.  They are using a program called Zoom to allow us to participate in discussions.  Lessons and programs are being prepared for children and youth.  Online giving is now available, but unfortunately few have yet to use this.  All of this is good but does not replace needed fellowship, especially when living in isolation.
          Shopping has been a challenge.  For the past year we used Stauffers for purchasing online. They would shop for us and then place the groceries in our SUV at an assigned time.  That was a great service and eliminated the need for us to walk to shop and then stand in line to pay.   But when the virus hit, the demand for this service forced them to stop it.  We then tried Wagamans but we could never get a reservation time from them, so we had to try elsewhere.  We have switched to Giant, but we've never received more than 50% of the items that we ordered with them.  Once they gave our reserved time away and once items were dropped from our order.  This has been very disappointing and difficult.  Our daughter-in-law went shopping for us and purchased some water and ground beef which we needed.  But we really don't want to ask for help and ask folks to risk exposure to the virus just to help us.
          And I really need a haircut.  The day before my appointment, barbershops were forced to close.  I'm not a hippie yet, but I am getting close.  I guess in a few weeks we'll know everyone's real hair color.
          We've had medical visits and tests called off.  Instead we have had some telephone chats with doctors.  But they haven't been much help.  My pulmonary lab has been called off and I miss the exercise.  I also miss three friends and fellow participants who I've met there.  They are older than I am and all must use oxygen.  They are not well and I pray that they will survive this virus.  I miss our conversations.  I guess over the months they have become my "small group".
          So what do you do when you are isolated?  Well you can watch television, but that often makes one feel more anxious.  It is filled with dumb shows or news reports which are always negative - not good when you are already stressed.
         You can read.  I have many books to read but my eyes can't take too much and they now tire too quickly.
          You can put puzzles together.  That we have done.  So far we've taken on the challenge of two 1,000 piece puzzles.  We've completed one and now are half way through a second.
          I can write more blogs.  I really enjoy doing that but at times it is difficult to find new topics.  My hymn blog is doing very well, but this one, my personal blog, has few readers.
          And you can pray.  The older I become the more I realize how important this is.  And the Lord continues to give me more time to do this.  My prayer list grows longer and longer.  There are so many needs.  We've also tried to encourage folks we pray for by calling them and sending notes or e-mails to them.  So many need to be encouraged.  Maybe we all do.
          Now I don't know what is ahead for us but I don't think a solution is in sight.  This could grow worse and more days of isolation and suffering could be in our future.  And that could give us more time to pray, encourage others, and spend time walking with the Lord.  After all, He is the only one who knows our future.

          Well a year has passed since all of this began and I wrote this blog, but with the Lord's help we've survived.  We miss being with our family and our fiends.  We now are dealing with some new and more challenging physical problems.  But God has been good and has blessed us with his presence, protection and provision.  To God be the glory!

No comments: