Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, March 5, 2021

The Treasure Hunt

          Did you ever go on a treasure hunt?  They can be fun and sometimes even rewarding.  But when the prize is really valuable they can also be very frustrating.  And that is the case with the great hunt that our government leaders have established for many of us.
          Now the prize of this hunt is controversial.  Many of us think the new  covid vaccines - the prize of this hunt - are important and we want to get them to protect ourselves and those we contact.  But others feel that this pandemic is really a hoax and that the shots are a way for the government to control us.  They refuse to get them.
          Now who is right?  I guess that is a good question and nobody can be sure of the correct answer.  Now I consider myself a conservative as are many of my friends and opponents of the pandemic.  I don't like the government being able to take control of our lives and activities.  But I see thousands who are dead from covid.  Some were relatives and friends.  And I see it being very dangerous for seniors who have physical problems just like me.  And at present I have decided to follow the scientific guidelines which try to protect me and those I contact.  
          Many of my relatives and friends disagree. I will accept your opinion should you choose not to get the new shots and follow suggested safety regulations.  But, please understand if I decide to accept them and then continue to avoid you for our protection.
          Now this treasure hunt began a few months ago when two new vaccines were developed and approved by the government.  A plan for distribution was developed.  It called first for shots to be given to first responders and medical folks who worked with covid patients.  I think that was an appropriate choice.
          The second group was to be those over 65 and those with serious physical problems which made them susceptible to covid.  These were the ones most seriously affected by the virus and I think that was a very good second choice.  I fell into that category as I am a few weeks away from 80, have COPD, diabetes, cancer, had five heart bypasses and a variety of other problems.  That made me eager to get the shots.
          The distribution started well.  But then some government officials opened it up to the many thousands in the second group before the first group was taken care of.  And since there was a shortage of vaccines we were suddenly forced to begin the treasure hunt.  Then weather and uneven distribution problems made the hunt even more difficult.  And finally some facilities incorrectly used shots that were supposed to be held for the second shots, adding to the shortage.  Only the government could screw things up like this.
          Here in Lancaster County we were shortchanged and received limited supplies while others had plenty.  In fact many local folks went to other areas, such as Lehigh and Monroe Counties were they were able to get shots.  When asked about this in a news conference this week, our great Governor Wolf had no comment or solution.  I can't help but wonder if this wasn't a political pay back since our county is strongly Republican and our state leadership is strongly Democratic.
          Now when the eligible group was prematurely announced, folks began to scramble for the few available shots.  Folks like me spent many hours and days online trying to schedule.  Some were very lucky and found an appointment while most were not. Openings quickly filled. Frustrations grew.
          Now the Lord surprised us when early in the hunt my wife received a message on her LGH portal that said she was eligible for an appointment.  We made one immediately and she received her first shot on February 9.  She is scheduled for her second on Tuesday, if supplies still exist.  I tried to find out why she was invited and I wasn't.  I finally was told that patients of the LGH cancer and diabetes centers were invited.  Even though I had both conditions, I wasn't invited because I was treated by two doctors who weren't part of the LGH system.  On the other hand, my wife is seen once a year by a surgeon from Philadelphia who comes to the Lancaster cancer center twice a month.  So even though she doesn't have cancer, this qualified her for a shot.  PTL!
          In the meantime, as part of the hunt, I contacted eight of my doctors who all said they couldn't do anything for me.  I contacted the head of pulmonary rehab at LGH.  I was in that for over a year and thought that should qualify me.  No help.  My family doctor did tell me that I was high on his list.  I was finally contacted by Penn State and spent hours on their website trying to get an appointment.  Finally, after many tries I did receive approval to get an appointment.  But there were just four left - all at Hershey- and despite five tries I couldn't get any confirmed.   And the hunt went on.
          LGH added a survey on their portal asking if you wanted a vaccine shot.  I completed it five times but over a week later none of these had yet been read.
          Hearing of successes by others I daily tried Weis Markets, Rite Aid and a few others without any success.  I did get on a lengthy list at our local drug store but have heard nothing.  I tried other area hospitals without any success.   Then my son and his wife were able to get appointments from Wellspan.  So four times I tried there but was unable to get through because I needed a customer number.  I tried unsuccessfully to get a number online without any success.  I called their number and was on hold for an hour and finally gave up.  In the meantime I heard of others who had success in various ways through relatives and friends.  But without such contacts, I continued my hunt with no treasure in sight.
          Then last week the governor announced that a new vaccine was available but that it was being reserved for educators.  Now as a retired educator I can understand the need, but those shots could have been used to help us who have been trying to get covered due to our physical needs.  Again another roadblock in the hunt.  I imagine that all the decision makers have already had shots for them and their families.
          So I decided that my choice that remained was the one I should have taken originally.  Trust the Lord who has a plan for my life.  He will protect me whether or not I receive the vaccine.
          Then two days ago I received a surprise message on my LGH portal telling me that I was able to make an appointment.  I did so immediately and will get my first shot on March 9.  PTL!   My treasure hunt is over.  The Lord does know and just wants us to depend on him for all of our ways.

No comments: