Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 1, 2022

More Seconds and Thirds

          Last month I shared a blog in which I shared a number of second and third verses of hymns which are sometimes skipped.  Did you recognize the hymns?  Were the words meaningful to you?  
          I enjoyed preparing the blog and enjoyed being reminded of many truths that the hymn writers wanted to share with others.  For that reason I am preparing a second one.
 
     God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain, rocky and steep,
Never a river, turbid and deep.
Chorus:  But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.
**********
How matchless the grace, 
when I looked in the face
Of this Jesus, my crucified Lord;
My redemption complete 
I then found at His feet,
And Calvary covers it all.
Calvary covers it all,
My past with its sin and stain;
My guilt and despair
Jesus took on Him there,
And Calvary covers it all.
**********
   Every need His hand supplying,
Every good in Him I see;
On His strength divine relying,
He is all in all to me.
All that thrills my soul is Jesus,
He is more than life to me;
And the fairest of ten thousand
In my blessed Lord I see.
**********
    Let us then be true and faithful,
Trusting, serving every day;
Just one glimpse of Him in glory
Will the toils of life repay.
When we all get to Heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory!
**********
Love brought my Savior 
here to die on Calvary,
For such a sinful wretch as I, 
how can it be?
Love bridged the gulf 'twixt me and Heav'n,
taught me to pray,
I am redeemed, set free, forgiv'n, 
love found a way.
Love found a way, to redeem my soul,
Love found a way, 
that could make me whole.
Love sent my Lord to the cross of shame,
Love found a way, O praise His holy Name!
**********
 I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
**********
And now for me He stands 
Before the Father's throne.
He shows His wounded hands 
and names me as His own.
For me He died, 
For me He lives,
And everlasting life and light 
He freely gives.
**********
 More about Jesus let me learn,
More of His holy will discern;
Spirit of God, my teacher be,
Showing the things of Christ to me
More, more about Jesus,
More, more about Jesus;
More of His saving fulness see,
More of His love who died for me.
**********
 Sometimes the sky looks dark 
with not a ray of light,
We're tossed and driven on, 
no human help in sight;
But there is one in heav'n 
who knows our deepest care,
Let Jesus solve your problem
just go to Him in pray'r.
It will be worth it all when we see Jesus,
Life's trials will seem so small 
when we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face 
all sorrow will erase,
So bravely run the race
 till we see Christ.
**********
Though sorrows befall us and evils oppose,
God leads His dear children along;
Through grace we can conquer, 
defeat all our foes,
God leads His dear children along.
Some through the waters, 
some through the flood,
Some through the fire, 
but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, 
but God gives a song,
In the night season 
and all the day long.
**********
He placed me upon the strong 
Rock by His side,
My steps were established 
and here I'll abide;
No danger of falling while here I remain,
But stand by His grace 
until the crown I gain.
He brought me out of the miry clay,
He set my feet on the Rock to stay;
He puts a song in my soul today,
A song of praise, hallelujah!
**********
But we never can prove 
the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, f
or the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey, f
or there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus, 
but to trust and obey.
**********
 I am resting tonight 
in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus' control;
For I'm kept from all danger 
by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!
**********
 The bride eyes not her garment,
But her dear Bridegroom's face;
I will not gaze at glory
But on my King of grace.
Not at the crown He giveth
But on His pierced hand;
The Lamb is all the glory
Of Emmanuel's land.


No comments: