Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Joy Of The Unexpected

          Sometimes life comes at you quickly, when you least expect it.  Thankfully the Lord walks with you through these unexpected experiences. 
          For weeks I wasn't feeling well and had signs of a possible urinary infection.  When things didn't improve my urologist suggested a CT scan to check for kidney stones.  On Thursday morning I had the scan and that afternoon they called to say that I had a 6 mm stone that was blocking my flow and needed to be taken out.  They set up an appointment for me on Friday to plan for its removal.
          That night my pain became intolerable and I decided to do something I have always refused to do following my surgeries – I took an oxycodone.  Early in the morning I had to go to the toilet and slipped out of bed trying to do so.  My legs wouldn't work to allow me to get up so we finally gave up and called the ambulance.
          I ended up in the ER and was later admitted to the hospital.  I was not able to keep my Friday appointments about my stone, but the Lord provided a urologist who had an unexpected opening in his schedule.  He implanted a stent but did not try to remove the stone because of the amount of infection that he encountered.  But I did get some relief.
           They decided to keep me in the hospital for several days.  Most of the nurses were great but the food was terrible.  The hospital food used to be good but now it is terrible.  I was released days later with a date to have the stent taken out and the stone lasered.
          The next evening, we discovered a message on our answering system with instructions to immediately report back to the hospital.  They found, after I left, that a blood culture showed that I had a fungus infection in my blood.  I needed immediate antibiotics by iv and would be readmitted to the hospital.
          We were told to report to the ER which we did.  But there were no parking spaces available so we parked illegally.  My wife kept checking the lot throughout the evening until she eventually found a spot. 
          But the worst was yet to come.  We checked in and went through all sorts of tests since nobody appeared to understand why we were there.  Then, finally, after seven hours of waiting, we were able to see a doctor.   There was no reason for this treatment by the ER staff.
          I was admitted to a holding room which was really a miserable situation – almost like being in a closet.  I was given an echocardiogram because this condition can create sticky heart valves.  But I guess mine were still fine.  And the food was still terrible.
          They began daily infusions in an attempt to stop the blood infection.  Several days later they decided to release me with orders to continue the infusions as an outpatient.  As of yesterday, I have completed five in the hospital and five as an outpatient at the hospital and at a local infusion center.  I have five more to go.  I have no idea if they are working.  Nobody seems to know and I guess I won't know until my appointment with the Infectious Disease Group next Wednesday.
          In the meantime, I am now scheduled for surgery on Monday at 3 pm.  They hope to laser my stones and take out the stent.  They will keep me at least one night so that I can enjoy the hospital food once again.
          I don't have much pain and I am slowly regaining my appetite.  I've lost about 15 pounds and am extremely tired.  I pray that things might improve after the surgery.
          I would appreciate prayer for my wife.  She is exhausted from driving me around and caring for me.  She is also facing some serious surgery the first week in November.   I must remember the vows … in sickness and in health.

No comments: