Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 24, 2022

First Meeting



(NOTE - This blog was written BEFORE we had an UNEXPECTED visit with our new great grandson just a few days ago .)  
     
            On a day like this, many years ago, a husband and his wife waited with anticipation the arrival of their precious son.  It was a day of challenge and a day of anticipation.  She had to overcome the long trip by donkey with increasing labor pains.  They had to find a place to stay and give birth.  But God was with them and had the way prepared for them.
          Then they would meet unexpected visitors.  Lowly shepherds invited by angels would find their way to the manger and greet God's Son, born there as a baby.  What a special day that would be remembered and celebrated for many years, even today.
          Today my wife and I are also anticipating a special day in our lives – meeting our new grandson, Malachi Pierce Cetnar who we expect to visit us.  It will be his first visit to us here in Pennsylvania from his home in Massachusetts where he was born on October 12.
          But there are many things that could prevent this visit.  The weather, especially the possibility of ice or snow could prevent their arrival.  Illness could be a problem.  RSV, flu and covid seem to be everywhere and could prevent our meeting.  As I write this, days before Saturday, I don't know what happened today.
          We faced a similar challenge when Malachi's mother, Taylor, was born.  She came in the middle of a huge snowstorm that was so bad that Lancaster was closed to travelers.  Her parents made it to the hospital but the city was closed to everyone else.
          Her brother was staying with us and really wanted to see his new sister.  So did we.  So, we jumped in the car and ventured through the falling snow to the hospital.  It was an exciting and probably dangerous trip. But we made it there and eventually home again safely.
          Zachary thought his little sister was beautiful.  Their first meeting was something we shall never forget. And we look forward to the same thing happening again today.
          I have looked forward to holding Malachi, hugging him tightly, and talking to him. I thank the Lord for Him and pray for him daily.
          And I know that all that happens, even a surprise visit, is part of God's plan. 


1 comment:

Marlene Rafferty said...

Hello Brother Barry:

Congratulations on the visit from your new grandson. How beautiful and serene is the photo you have attached.
51 years ago, our son was born during a blizzard. We thought that as time went on and he married and had his own family, the last place he would ever want to live is in a snowy region of the country. He, his wife and children all live in Maine--one of the snowiest regions in the Northeast.
Anyway, please continue to post your blogs and songs. I look forward to what you write and post. It seems that reminiscing is a thing of the past--no pun intended. It's just that people are so caught up with life that they can't stop for a few moments and enjoy simple life anymore.
May God continue to bless you and your wife until you meet Him in your forever home...

Marlene Rafferty