Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Special Things I Like

          In the past I've often shared that my favorite of the four seasons is Fall, and it is.  I love the cooler temperatures.  I love football season.  And I love the beautiful leaves, as long as they stay on the trees.  I don't enjoy cleaning them up when they fall.
          What I don't enjoy is the winter that follows.  I don't like the cold and the sky-rocketing heating costs.  I don't like ice.  I don't like snow that needs to be shoveled or plowed.  But I do enjoy the beautiful winter scenes that God provides.  I wish that God would just allow the snow to fall on the grass and not on streets or sidewalks.
          But there is a part of winter that I really enjoy – the Christmas season.
          I enjoy the beautiful decorations – Christmas trees, lights, wreaths.  I enjoy Christmas cards and letters.  The older I become, the more that I enjoy the letters which let us know what has happened with each family the previous year.  They help me keep up to date with the lives of friends and relatives and help me pray intelligently for them.  That becomes more appreciated as age, physical problems, and distances tend to keep us more separated. One of our greatest gifts are the friends that we have and we should never take them for granted.
          I especially appreciate the beautiful Christmas music – religious and secular.  I listen to it every chance that I have.  It can be very stirring and comforting and it brings back many great memories.  My one regret is that radio stations usually stop playing it on December 26.  Why so soon?  Why can't they at least wait until January 2 to end this special music?
          Now I don't get too excited about presents, probably because I really don't want for anything at this point in life.  But surprise gifts received are always appreciated.  On the other hand, giving gifts is always a special part of this season.  It is special to see the surprise and excitement of the receiver.
          I enjoy times of celebrating with family members but I do miss bring with those who the Lord has called home.  But I thank the Lord for so many great memories and I've learned to appreciate the times that I now have with my friends.
          And I enjoy the Christmas season for it helps me focus once again on the One who made this season possible – the Birthday of the King!  Thank God for His unspeakable gift.
          But during all seasons of the year I am thankful for the few friends who take time each week to read my ramblings.  Thank you! So, I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

No comments: