Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Heart Attack?

          What do you do if you think you could be having a heart attack?  Do you wait to see if your symptoms improve?  Do you call the ambulance?  Do you just pray about it?  If you are wise, you choose both choices two and three.  But most of the time we'd much rather choose suggestion one.
          Yesterday I was faced with this decision.  We were expecting company and I was doing some work on my computer.  Suddenly I became very dizzy.  I tried to get up and the world was swimming.  It didn't seem to improve so I told Dianne to call the folks who were coming and cancel their visit.
          Then I decided to take my blood pressure.  It was extremely high and I decided that I needed help.  I reluctantly told my wife to call the ambulance.  She did and we tried to get ready for their arrival.  Now besides being concerned about my heart, I dreaded the ride in the ambulance.  The streets in Lancaster are terrible and I'm not sure if the ambulances have shock absorbers.  Then there is the ER.  We've had bad experiences there - long waits with crowds of sick people and then being placed in the hall because they didn't have enough rooms.
          Well, the ambulance ride wasn't disappointing.  It was terrible.  If you didn't have a problem before the ride, you could develop one during the ride.  But the attendants were very nice and comforting.
         Then came a major surprise.  Several million dollars had been spent on remodeling the ER.  While I didn't need it, my wife found plenty of convenient parking.  The entrance area was modern, clean and well marked.  Attendants quickly helped her find me.
          I was actually placed in a private room with modern equipment.  I especially liked the large monitor which identified, with pictures, those who were working on me.  Every time a test was ordered by the doctor it was indicated on the monitor.  When it was completed that was noted.  And as a patient you could follow where you were in the process rather than just waiting for something to happen.  In past visits it was common to lie there and wait not knowing if anyone was even working on your case.
          The only problem I had was that my two nurses both were unable to start my IV.  They finally decided to call for the IV team which took an hour to get there.  At that point the doctor decided to just skip the IV treatment.
          Now thankfully they did not find any heart related issues.  But they did decide that I had another severe urinary infection.  Now I've had many of these during the past years.  I've even been to the ER a few times with these.  But, as I told the doctor, none of them were ever like this one. My symptoms were always different.  But he had an explanation and I hope he knew what he was doing.
          So after about four hours they sent me home.  I still do not feel 100% but at least I am home.   I guess I'll know more in a few days.
          But I can still use option three – pray.  And I have been doing that.  When I had open heart surgery a few years ago, I spent the night before praying and the Lord answered and gave peace.  The same thing is happening once again.
 
What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul,
So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll!
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!

  I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus' control;
For I'm kept from all danger by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!


No comments: