Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Hire Me

         For several decades one of my most important jobs was interviewing for math teaching positions for grades 7-12.  It was a very challenging but important job.  
          Over the years I probably hired 50 or more teachers and interviewed well over 130.  Thankfully I was able to hire many very good teachers, especially in years in which the number of available candidates was very small.
          Recently somebody sent me stories of actual interviews.  While I never had any this bad, these at last were good for a few laughs.
          Vice Presidents and personnel directors of the one hundred largest corporations were asked to describe their most unusual experience interviewing prospective employees.

* A job applicant challenged the interviewer to an arm wrestle.

* Interviewee wore a Walkman, explaining that she could listen to the interviewer and the music at the same time.

* Candidate fell and broke arm during interview.

* Candidate announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and french fries in the interviewers office.

* Candidate explained that her long-term goal was to replace the interviewer.

* Balding Candidate excused himself and returned to the office a few minutes later wearing a hairpiece.

* Applicant said if he was hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.

* Applicant interrupted interview to phone her therapist for advice on how to answer specific interview questions.

* Candidate brought large dog to interview.

* Applicant refused to sit down and insisted on being interviewed standing up.

* Candidate dozed off during interview.

          The employers were also asked to list the "most unusual" questions that have been asked by job candidates.

* "What is it that you people do at this company?"

* "What is the company motto?"

* "Why aren't you in a more interesting business?"

* "Why do you want references?"

* "Do I have to dress for the next interview?"

* "I know this is off the subject, but will you marry me?"

* "Will the company move my rock collection from California to Maryland?"

* "Does your health insurance cover pets?"

* "Does your company have a policy regarding concealed weapons?"


No comments: