Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mistakes

Mistakes - we all make them, we all live with them.  How many have you made today?  Sometimes mistakes cost us - like signing a contract to lock in on a heating oil contract then finding the price declines sharply.  Sometimes they are inconvenient - like making a wrong turn while driving.  Sometimes they are embarrassing - like giving a wrong answer on a test.  Sometimes they are funny - you better be able to laugh at yourself.  Unfortunately, sometimes are mistakes hurt others.  Within the past 15 hours I saw several glaring mistakes on TV.  In World Series game three, the umpire called a runner safe at first when replays showed the runner was definitely out.  Replays, which don't count in baseball, clearly showed the umps mistake, but the call couldn't be reversed and corrected.  His mistake allowed Tampa  Bay to begin a two-run rally and almost cost the Phillies an important victory.  Of course, the players also made several key mistakes or errors.  Then in the Eagles game this afternoon, the Falcons were just six points behind and with about three minutes left in the game made a defensive stop forcing the Eagles to punt.  The punt returner jumped away from the falling punt but the refs ruled it a muff, giving the ball back to the Eagles.  Replays clearly showed it should have been the Falcons ball, but their coach had used all his time outs and wasn't able to officially challenge the call.  The ball wrongly went to the Eagles who then scored a final touchdown to seal, or should I say steal, the victory.  I'm an Eagles fan, but the call was wrong and probably cost the Falcons a victory.   Mistakes!   But isn't it great that we can serve a God who never says "oops".  He is all knowing, all powerful, faithful and in control.  And Deuteronomy 32:3, 4 should be our response.  "I will proclaim the name of the Lord.  Oh praise the greatness of our God!  He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He."  So remember, He is God and we are not. 

No comments: