Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, October 31, 2008

We Just Missed It

Tuesday night we just missed it .... and we are glad that we did.  I had a late afternoon doctor appointment and I suggested that since it was late that we should go out for supper.  So we went to T.G.I.Fridays at Park City because I had a gift card to use there.  We were seated at the window where we could observe the mall, right across from the Susquehanna Bank.  We enjoyed the view of the shoppers, had a nice meal, and then headed home.  The next morning we were surprised to hear on the radio that a gang had jumped some other young men in the mall, right outside where we had been seated.  One of the men was stabbed in the leg and another beaten severely.  It happened while diners watched through the window, apparently shortly after we had left to go home.  That was a little too close and I'm glad we missed it.   Lancaster has changed dramatically.  It is no longer the quiet country town that many remember.  You don't see Amish everywhere you look.  Crime, drugs, shootings are now very common.  The population has changed and the racial make-up is radically different.  Some of my best memories are of the years that we lived in the city, on Queen Street, just five blocks from the square.  As an elementary age youngster, I was able to safely walk anywhere in the city or downtown without any fear.  I loved to go through the stores downtown after school.  But that was almost 60 years ago.  Now I would never walk alone in some of those areas when it was dark. And there are even areas I would avoid during the day.  But Lancaster isn't alone with this problem.  With home invasions, robberies, and crime growing, I'm not even sure about walking alone in some areas of Millersville at night.  Sin surely has changed the world that we live in.  What a shame for all of us and especially for our children and grandchildren.   But we can rest in the promise that God is preparing a new home for us in a place where there will be no more crime or fear.  It is a home beyond our imagination.  And someday, hopefully very soon, He will come to take us there.  And that's an event that you won't want to miss.

No comments: