Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It's My Parents' Fault

If you have been following the news in the Lancaster area you are aware of the horrible murder that took place in the Elizabethtown area.  F our young men (probably not a good description of them) decided to choose a home outside of town to rob.  They picked one at random, knocked on the door, and said they needed to borrow a cell phone to make a call since their car had broken down.  A very respected older businessman answered the knock and kindly handed them a phone to help them out.  The one young man then grabbed him and put a gun in his mouth.  When the businessman resisted, he withdrew the gun and shot him in the chest and then again while the man screamed in pain and terror.  Fortunately his wife locked the door and called the police or they might have murdered her, too.  When they were caught and brought to trial they reported how they had laughed and celebrated.  They reported how the killer had bragged about the murder and thought that he was a great gangster.  During the trial and verdict he showed no remorse and just sat with a somber look.  The jury quickly found him guilty of first degree murder.  Then the circus began as they entered the sentencing phase - death or life imprisonment.  All his family members came forth to testify how he had been abused as a child.  His father, a pastor, had "beaten" him when he didn't want to go to church.  He only had an IQ of 75 and didn't do well in school, so what more could you expect.  He had never known love so this is why he became a murderer.  It was all the fault of his family and environment and he couldn't be held responsible for that.  And of course, when asked by his lawyer, how life would be if he received the death sentence, his entire family testified that their lives would never be the same.  I wonder how they thin k the lives are of the wife, children, and friends of the man he so coldly murdered.  Or don't the victims matter in today's liberal justice system. And during this part of the trial the murderer cried while his family defended him.  Could he be playing on the sympathy of the jury?  No, with an IQ of 75 he certainly couldn't be smart enough to play that game.  Not if he didn't even know the difference between right and wrong.  But isn't this the theme of today's society - it's not my fault, it's because of my lousy childhood and my parents.  I just couldn't help myself.  I was never loved. I didn't know what I was doing.  Any many jurors will buy this argument.  By the time you read this, the verdict will probably be public.  I may be wrong, but I expect it will be life imprisonment instead of the death penalty  And in this tough economy, we will have the "privilege" of supporting him with our taxes for 50 years or more.  Sad, sad times we live in. Now didn't I see something like this predicted somewhere?  It couldn't have been in the Bible ...  something about the end times, maybe.  Oh, but that's right, it's not politically correct to talk about the Bible and that old book certainly couldn't be relevant to today's society.  Hmm, or could it be?

No comments: