Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Like Father, Like Son

The last two months have been a real struggle in trying to deal with my dad's estate and cleaning out a home with 60 years of possessions.  But in doing so, I have learned things about my father that I never knew.  It has been interesting and even shocking to see the things that he and I had in common.  Now I knew the obvious ones.  We both went to Susquehanna University and both majored in math and physics.  We both taught in high school and college.  We both served as Sunday School superintendent, elder, and Awana leader for many years.  We both served on the boards of Berean Bible School/Pinebrook Jr. College.   We both were charter members of our church. We both earned our Masters Degrees.   But here are some additional things that I've just discovered.  We both coached high school track and basketball.  We both were editors of our high school yearbooks.  We both wrote for the town newspapers, covering sports, while we were in high school.  We both worked for the Sunbury Daily Item.   We both led the Primary Department in Sunday School while we were in high school.  We both were rather proficient on the computer and we were both self-taught.  But there were also some significant differences.  He was skilled in dealing with finances (as is my son, Craig) and many taxpayers and our church and denomination can testify to that.  I can balance my checkbook,pay my bills, and do my taxes, but I struggle with the financial vocabulary and things like settling an estate.  He was a very skilled engineer (as is my son, Ken) and he actually had several patents from his years at RCA.  I started in an engineering program and received good grades, but just never had a natural feel for things in physical sciences.  He was skilled in helping those who had employment and insurance questions (as is my son Tim) and we are just learning how many people he really advised and helped.  As for me, I had to go to dad when I needed advice in these areas.    He was skilled in building and repairing things.  I either ask my sons for help or I hire somebody. So while we had many things in common, many of the skills I don't have just seemed to skip me and go to my boys.   And that I find interesting. However, the greatest strength that dad had was his love of the Lord and his commitment to the Lord and His work.  That was his life and goal.  Dad set the standard high for those of us who follow him.  It is my prayer that I, my sons, and my grandchildren may never forget the example which he set and that we may strive to live the godly life that he did.  For me, the ultimate complement would be " like father, like son".  And not just to be like my earthly father, as special as that would be, but more importantly to be like my Heavenly Father.  That was dad's desire for himself, for his children, for his grandchildren and even for his great grandchildren.

No comments: