Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Little Things

Did you ever think about how the little things that you do can mean so much to others?  We've been reminded of that recently in several ways.  First, we were surprised at some of the folks who wrote comments about my dad and what he meant to them.  Of special interest to us were some of those in church who have special needs and often are easily ignored by others.  Several of them wrote to us about how dad always had time to come to them and greet them and talk to them.  That was very special to them and they miss that.  Such a little thing, but so important.  This afternoon we attended a family visitation of a woman whose husband died suddenly this week.  We didn't really know her although she has attended our church.  We really went because her young daughter attends our Awana program.  A few minutes ago we received a call from a friend of hers who thanked us for taking time to come to the visitation.  We were told that it meant so much to the wife as well as to the woman who called us.  Such a little thing, but so important.  This morning we were at the Awana Sparks-a-rama and a young man came and thanked me for working in Awana.  I admit that I didn't even remember him, but he came to our Awana program about 15 years ago and is now working in Awana at another church.  Such a little thing, but so important.   About a week ago we stopped at a restaurant in the middle of the afternoon for their buffet lunch.  Our waitress appeared tired and really wasn't very personable.  We were in a hurry and waited and waited for the bill (one of my pet peeves!).  When it didn't come, we went to the register and told them that we had "lost" our waitress.  She contacted the waitress who then brought our bill to the register.  I admit that I was a little upset and decided not to give her a tip.  The next day I felt very guilty about this, knowing that I had not been fair to her.  Fortunately, Dianne saw her name tag so I wrote and sent her a cash tip.  I also apologized for being inconsiderate.  Today we received a very nice card from the waitress thanking us for our thoughtfulness.  From her note I think that she might be a believer.  She told us that her father recently died and that has been very hard for her. That explained so much and I am so glad that I did send her the tip.  Such a little thing, but so important.  Sometimes we forget that people are watching us and that so many are also hurting and a little bit of our time and thoughtfulness can go a long way in helping others.   We who are believers need to walk worthy of His name and doing so is often so practical.

No comments: