Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Junk Mail

When my father passed away I arranged to have all of his mail forwarded to me.  I understand that the Post Office will do this for first class mail for one year.  This is important because of the need to get all of dad's bills as well as all of his mail for our denomination for which he served as financial secretary.  We have been working hard to get all of these addresses officially changed to be sent to me rather than to be forwarded.  This has been working and many of these addresses are now changed.  However, the Post Office has a shorter period for forwarding other mail - most of which I really don't want.  But something strange has happened.   All of what I term as "junk mail" has had its addresses changed and it is now also coming to me.  I certainly didn't ask for this to happen and I don't want it.  I guess it must be one of those "services" the Postal Service provides, on their own, to keep the mail coming.  Now most of these junk items are requests for money.  And my dad gets plenty of these - I think we really average three of four of these a day.  And that is an honest estimate.  And then there are the fancy address labels - he gets two or three sets of these a week with my address on them.  And I don't know how to get this all stopped - they'll probably keep coming even after I pass on.  They all include envelopes to return your gift, but you must use a stamp, so it will cost me money to tell them to stop their mailings.  Maybe I should just humor the Post Office and return them without stamps and flood their dead letter center.  I guess it is all part of the society of waste where we kill the trees and fill the landfills.  So thank you U. S. Postal Service for keeping the "junk mail" flowing to my home!

No comments: