Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Zap!

After a very dry winter we have hit a string of days with showers - some very heavy - and scattered storms.  Some storms have been severe and even flash flood warnings have been posted.  But the other day it looked as though the dark clouds had finally parted and the sun finally came out.  But as I stepped outside suddenly there was a flash of lightning and a loud boom.  The "zap" seemed to come out of the blue and certainly wasn't expected.  But isn't that the way life often is for each of us?  Right now it is 4 am and I've been unable to sleep all night.  We have been going through some "stormy" situations the last few months and then it began to appear that things were finally settling down and the "sun might be shining" once again.  But then, several hours ago, there was another unexpected "zap" and a new challenge has come my way.  I tried to sleep, but couldn't.  I spent time praying and asking the Lord for wisdom.  But sleep hasn't come.  Since midnight I've updated the church giving records, prepared labels for an Awana mailing list, answered some e-mails, and worked on paying bills.  Now I don't need any sermons, I know my trust is in the Lord.  I know I shouldn't worry.  But it would be so much easier if I could just pick up the phone, ask God personally what to do, and get a quick answer.   I know He knows all about this and has the future planned and under His control.  But, ...   And someday I'll look back and be amazed how He guided me through this problem.  But in the meantime ...   Well, we need the rain to restore our water table and we are thankful for the downpours we've been experiencing.  And I guess I need the zaps and storms of life for my spiritual growth so I should be thankful.  At least the Lord must think so!  But it would be nice to have a sunny season for a change.  In everything give thanks.  So my personal prayer continues to be for wisdom (and I really need that now), peace, and strength ... and maybe even some sleep.

No comments: