Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Vacation To Forget

It has been two years since we were able to take a vacation.  We have been to Pinebrook quite often during that time, but that is always to work and I don't call that a vacation.  We haven't been able to get away for any length of time because of my duties every Sunday in church and our duties on Wednesday nights in Awana.  And we don't have a cabin or a get-away close by to go that doesn't cost us a great deal of money.  And finally, our family problems since last October have kept us fully involved in caring for others.  So, knowing that we really needed to get away, and since yesterday was our wedding anniversary, we planned a trip for much of this week. We left after completing my Sunday morning commitments.  But, I guess in this modern age one should not take a computer for e-mail (we operate our church e-mail prayer chain) or a cell phone if one really needs to relax.  Well we did have a nice time on Monday, enjoying a few relaxing hours time at the bay.   But numerous cell phone calls and e-mails informed us of a variety of problems involving unexpected family health problems, numerous estate settlement problems, and several other things that needed our attention.  Then some physical problems prevented us from doing what we had planned on the remaining days.  So, Tuesday morning we gave up and drove home to deal with some of the problems and to see our family doctor.  Now I admit that I was extremely disappointed since we had looked forward to this time and needed this time away.  And I also admit that I wrestled with God, especially while driving home.  Why would He allow these things to happen when we needed time away?  Didn't He think we had enough on our plate right now?   Couldn't we just have a break in the stress?  Was He even hearing our prayers and concerns?  I felt a little like David did when in Psalm 13 he wrote, "How long, O LORD?  Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?  How long will my enemy triumph over me?"  Maybe there are times that you've reached this point, too.  It was a vacation and an anniversary to forget.  But later that night I recalled God's faithfulness in the past and the knowledge that "He encircles my path and my lying down with His care and that He knows ALL my ways" (Psalm 139:3)  And then I also remembered David's response in Psalm 13.  "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me."  So we did get some things accomplished on our return home.  We got to the doctor and scheduled a number of follow-up tests.  We were still able to catch a quick "anniversary dinner" at Dennys and I even had a coupon - not very romantic, but we were together.  And today I was able to cut grass and we made great progress on cleaning out my dad's house. I was able to finally schedule my surgery in July.  And we just learned that we need a new refrigerator.  So coming home wasn't a total waste, I guess.  And it was good we were home - this morning we even received a call from a friend who thought we were away - at 8:30.  Now if we had been on vacation we would have probably still been sleeping in bed, so I guess it was good we were home instead to take the call.  But we do know that God is in control, even when things don't go the way we had hoped.  God is good, all the time (even on vacations you want to forget)! 

No comments: