Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Interesting Weddings

Over the years my wife has played for many, many weddings and she has had so many unique and funny experiences that we've often thought about writing a book about them. I thought of including some of them in my blog. but I feel concerned that I might embarrass some of the participants, such as those who fainted, those who forgot the rings, those who overslept and were late, those who didn't even show up, etc. But during the past 36 hours we've heard of some new and interesting wedding situations. In October a friend of ours is going to Greece to see her daughter married there. They couldn't set the wedding date until the mayor approved because that is a necessary step in getting married there. Another friend of ours will be headed to China in a few weeks to see her son marry a Chinese lady in a traditional Chinese ceremony. The mother has been required to pay a dowry for her son to be married to this young lady. Then we heard of a 56 year old man who has purchased a mail order bride from Shanghai. She is 36 and doesn't speak any English. He has a daughter who is 27 and he doesn't speak any Chinese. He visited her once in Shanghai and they communicated with hand signals and an interpreter. The wedding will be held in this country. But those three international weddings pale in comparison with the sad story we heard about a recent wedding. While the father of the bride was walking his daughter down the aisle he suddenly fell. When they tried to help him they suddenly realized that he had had a heart attack and was dead. After medics arrived the groom's mother also suffered a heart attack. We don't know if she died or not. The dazed wedding party was taken to the basement, and later, with everyone seated there on chairs, they decided to finish the wedding ceremony. What a sad start to their marriage. Sadly, that story tops all those strange and unexpected experiences that Dianne has had as organist/pianist at weddings. But, as we've learned, every wedding ceremony is unique and has its moments that are remembered for a long time. As much as I dislike going to weddings, I guess the promise of seeing one or more of those "unexpected experiences" gives me something to look forward to when I must attend. That probably is not the correct attitude, but I guess I am just being honest. Could that be a male thing?

No comments: