Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, July 10, 2009

The Value Of A Thumb

We take so many little things for granted. Oh how I am being reminded of that this week. Do you ever think about how important your thumb is - especially your right thumb if you are right handed? I guess that I didn't, until a few days ago. Among other things, your thumb helps you hold your knife to cut things, especially food. It helps hold your fork to eat things. It steadies your pen when you do things like pay bills, or address mail, or even open mail for that matter. It steadies your razor when you shave and your toothbrush when you brush your teeth. Try putting on your socks and shoes without your thumb. Or try combing your hair or putting on stick deodorant or tightening your belt. Then there is the challenge of using your computer mouse - such fun. Open a bottle without gripping with your thumb. Well I could share more examples but it wouldn't serve any purpose. I am learning and trying to cope without the use of my thumb. Surgery was successful but it was worse than expected. It actually took a bone graft, a metal plate, and several screws to repair. I was expecting a much faster and easier recovery but that wasn't to be. But there is a lesson to be learned - the thumb, though it is very small, is integral to the proper functioning of the body. When it doesn't work, things don't function smoothly - as I am finding out. And so it is with our spiritual gifts. When some aren't being used in the body of Christ, the body doesn't function as it should. This should be a reminder to each of us to use the gifts we are given, no matter how small they may seem. All are vital. Well that is enough for a few days - at least I've been able to type with my fingers even though it is awkward and slow. Thumbs up!

No comments: