Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Unexpected Result

I had postponed my thumb surgery for over a year. I was expecting a simple procedure where I would be back to normal in about two weeks. But that wasn't to be. The surgery ended up requiring a metal plate, seven screws and a bone graft from my wrist to fuse the joint. For two weeks I tolerated the cast and then yesterday I went back to see the surgeon. I was pleased when they cut off the cast. I was glad when they took out the stitches and reported that it was healing well. I felt even better when they allowed me to walk for an x-ray without any brace on the hand. The doctor was pleased with the x-rays and then he sent me for a new cast. He first told me that I couldn't do any lifting or any writing. But I figured another week or two in a flexible splint was tolerable. Then we went to another room and the worker asked me what color I wanted my cast to be. I chose light blue. Then he began to wrap my arm and make a new cast - a hard one, almost as big as the first one. Then he sent me to check out and I was given an appointment for over four weeks from now. Four weeks! And I am right-handed and can't write for another four or more weeks! What a bummer! Not what I signed up for! But what can I do about it? Grin and bear it I guess and thank the Lord for all things, even when it is hard. But there is one plus. Last week at Pinebrook they allowed us to get into the dining hall early before all the other guests. And we have two more weeks at Pinebrook to take advantage of this. So I will be able to get my food first and then have more time to slop it all over myself as I try to eat with my left hand! And that is something to look forward to!

No comments: