Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday

A few years ago, Dianne and I got up very early on Black Friday and went to Circuit City since some of our family members wanted items that were on sale there. We were astonished to find the place packed. I left Dianne off and drove around the parking lot for a long time until I found a spot to park. Then I fought through the crowd to find her and stand in a check-out line that wound around the store. While we were there a person near us received a call on her cell phone that told her that she couldn't find a parking place at Park City. That experience was enough for me. I like bargains, but this wasn't worth my time or energy. I vowed that this would be the last Black Friday shopping experience for me. Now I was tempted to do it again this year when I read that some shirts I had been looking at would be reduced and the sale would begin at 4 am. After all, I needed and deserved these shirts since I have lost almost 35 pounds and many of my shirts don't fit. But 4 am came and went and we stayed in our warm bed. Later that morning we had to pick up some items at our doctor's office and we thought that since we were so close to Park City, maybe the very worst would now be over. Wrong! We got there and everything was parked full. Even the handicapped spots were filled with folks illegally parking in the striped areas between spots. We circled the lot and were about to give up when two ladies noted our situation and waved for us to follow them as they headed to their car. We did this only to find that many more cars also wanted their spot. Fortunately we fought them off and claimed the spot without an accident. We were reminded of a friend who lost a parking spot in a similar situation when somebody pulled in front of him. He waited until they left their car and then he went and let the air out of their tires. Now I would never do this, but I admit that the thought did pass through my mind. We finally got to the store and then the problem was getting to the merchandise. Dianne went to the women's department where she reported chaos and saw women grabbing things out of the hands of other shoppers. My problem were the women who were standing in the way talking on their cell phones. Again I resisted the urge to push or make some rude remarks. Black Friday shopping can give you those urges. Finally I collected my shirts and raced to get in line. Now where there was to be one line, folks had made two. And the folks in front of me were actually straddling both lines. As I waited, another women came and asked me which line I was in. When I said that I was waiting to see where the folks in front of me were going, she jumped in line, way ahead of all of us. At that point my carnal nature took over and I made a comment about butting in line. She heard me and decided to move back. Maybe she feared my "line rage". One small victory. But we weren't done. When we got to our car I let Dianne drive and I went to try to direct traffic because we had several cars lined up waiting to fight for our spot. And most of them were more interested in our spot than they were in letting us out. But finally we did get out, without any scrapes or bruises, and we headed home. Now I realize that Black Friday will continue - many women like to make it an annual social event. But, folks, this is my last Black Friday shopping spree ... believe me ... no more ... this is it ... I am done ... unless, of course ... I see some more bargains next year that "I need". After all, the store claims that I actually saved $120.17 by shopping there on Black Friday. But, since I have been watching their prices, I know it was really $14 off their regular sale prices for the six items we purchased. Now if I deduct the $3 I spent on gas, I probably saved about $11.00. That's not really a great bargain, but then where can you really have that much fun and frustration and temptation for $5.50 an hour?

No comments: