Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Good Bye!

They say it is hard to say "good bye" and it often is. During the past 19 months we have learned much about doing this. We said "good bye" to our fathers, my brother, and an uncle and aunt. But there are difficult times that follow those experiences where one must also say "good bye" and move on. One of those experiences came for me last October when we sold my dad's home. He had built this and lived there for almost 60 years. We moved there when I was in fourth grade and the house and neighborhood held many memories. But I had about eight months after dad's death to prepare for that last day. And walking though the house and around the property for the final time was very difficult. But that day had to be faced and then we moved on with our lives. However, the many memories are still with us. Then we faced having to say "good bye" once again last Monday. My wife's father died 19 months ago, but her step-mother continued to live in their apartment. We visited her there quite often but it wasn't the same without Dianne's dad. Then, last week, her step-mother had to move to assisted living, vacating the apartment. So we spent a few hours there going through things that had belonged to her dad. This time vacating the apartment was really final and it was especially difficult for Dianne and her sister. Saying "good bye" was hard. But I guess I didn't expect some of the other closures that happened during that visit. We took time to drive through the campus of Susquehanna University, in Selinsgrove, which is just a few blocks from the apartment. We had often done this when we went to visit Dianne's dad. I had spent four great years at SU and have so many great memories of those times. During those years I met Dianne and we were married. I suddenly realized that by vacating the apartment we were also "vacating" Selinsgrove and we would not have any real reason to return to this spot that was so important in my life. Then going home, we drove through Sunbury. Crossing the bridge over the Susquehanna River we were able to enjoy a panoramic view of the town. We both remarked about the many good memories we have of Sunbury. We drove past the old church where we were married. We drove down the main street and saw where Dianne used to work. We crossed the railroad where a watchman used to wait to stop the traffic when trains passed through the town. We passed the neighborhood where Dianne's grandmother used to live, where her dad went to school, and where my mother worked. We passed the property where we had so many church gatherings and where they held our wedding shower. Then we headed south, out of town, as we used to when we so often visited our many family members who used to live there. But now most of them have passed away and there are few reasons for us ever to make that trip again. And so, once again we had to say "good bye" and leave with just memories – great memories. But that is the way life is – nothing stays the same. So we say our "good byes", hold on to our great memories and thank the Lord for them, and we move on with the next phase of our life.

No comments: