Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Telephone Calls

I heard that the largest volume of telephone calls comes on Mother's Day and I don't find that surprising. But then I also heard that the largest volume of collect calls is on Father's Day. I guess it is hard to break away from the habit of having dad pay the bill. I don't usually watch Jay Leno, but the other night I caught part of his monologue. In it he said that the typical Father's Day call from son to father goes something like this. "Hi dad, happy Father's Day" ... "Thanks son, nice to hear from you. Hold on, I'll let you talk to your mother." And both father and son are happy and satisfied that they have bonded once again. Now Dianne and I both had to laugh when we heard that since that sounds like something I would do. I really don't enjoy talking on the phone and I usually let Dianne answer our phone for that reason. Now I love my sons and I enjoy being with them, but we can "bond" just by being together and watching sports on television. We don't need to talk for hours like women do. And most sons would really prefer to talk to their mother anyway and that is probably why the most calls are made on Mother's Day. Now daughters generally have the need to talk with their mothers or their sisters ... everyday ... for hours. Daughters talk to their fathers when they have problems or decisions to be made. Somehow that just seems to be the way that we are wired. When I walk each morning at Park City I notice that the women walk in groups and are talking constantly. When they walk alone, they are generally chatting on their cell phones. The men often walk alone, in silence. And if Dianne can't walk with me, then I prefer to walk alone, like most of the men, in silence. So am I strange or unusual? I'm sure there are a variety of opinions about that. But I think I am normal and like most men. So if you call, I certainly will talk to you. But, expect Dianne to answer the phone. And if we do talk on the phone, our conversation will probably be short and to the point. Oh, please excuse me a minute ... our phone is ringing ... "Dianne can you please answer that call?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog