Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

This is my second Father's Day without my father. I thought about him this morning when I went to church - he was always there. I thought about him when I counted the offering - a task which he did for many years. I thought about him when we had lunch at Wendys - we always had Sunday lunch there together. I wish that I could give him a hug and a kiss and wish him a Happy Father's Day - but I can't. I don't really grieve for him, for he is so much better off now. But at times I do miss him. Often I wish that I could share with him what is happening in my life and in the lives of my family. I often wish that I could tap his wisdom in so many subjects. I wish that I could ask him more about his life and his experiences. Next month is the 60th anniversary of the start of our church. he was the key person in that process and while I was part of it, as a youngster, I wish that I would have the opportunity to talk with him again about all that was involved. I hope to devote some future blogs in July to what I remember about that time since those memories will soon be gone forever. As I've shared before, I had a very special dad. In my early years we moved so often. Jobs and finances were tough during those postwar years and dad had many jobs before he landed a permanent one. As a result, he was often working but I never regretted his absence since I realize how hard he worked to support us in those years when we had nothing. I remember how he modeled faithfulness in the Lord's house as for years we would drive an hour to attend all the church services in Harrisburg. Later I saw how he devoted his energy to the establishment and growth of our church and from that I saw what it meant to faithfully and fully serve the Lord. Dad modeled that and our church flourished. Later I saw how he trusted the Lord when he lost his job at RCA, after 25 years there, and then when we lost mother in the auto accident. He never complained or blamed God. In fact, I don't ever remember hearing my dad complain about anything, especially his circumstances. Dad served the Lord until the end - the literal end - even when his health was failing. I owe so much to dad and I think that the older I get the more I appreciate his legacy and impact in my life. I wish that I could tell him that. I wish that I could be even half the model to my boys and grandchildren that he was to me. But while I miss him, I would never want to wish him back. For he is where he always wanted to be, home in heaven, with mother and His Lord. But dad, just in case you can hear me, thank you ... and Happy Father's Day.

No comments: