Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Life Keeps Coming At You

Sometimes life just keeps coming at you. We thought that after Christmas our schedule would slow down. Wrong! Last week was filled with doctor appointments, medical tests, business appointments, Awana, and snow. Then we spent three packed days this weekend at Hershey attending Awana Commander's College 101. After completing the course and "graduating", we returned home late Sunday afternoon to host our small group from church. Monday it was back to the hospital for more tests. Then that night the real adventure began. I was working at the computer when Dianne called to tell me that something was on fire - smoke was coming from the clothes dryer. I assumed that lint had caught on fire and I ran to the basement to turn off the electricity and pull out the venting. But there was no fire there. Dianne called that the smoke was getting worse so I ran back up to the dryer and found that the inside drum was scorched and that the back was very hot. I pulled the dryer out and disconnected it. I hoped that would take care of it since the smoke then slowed down. But the back was still very hot and to be sure it was safe, I called the Millersville Fire Chief who we know. He came over and we found that there was lint jammed underneath that had caught on fire and melted the drum and the belt. He called some other men to come and help carry it outside just to be safe. I planned to call our trash company the next morning to have it picked up. But an hour later Dianne heard a truck stop out front and when we checked we found that somebody had taken the dryer. I hope that they can get a few dollars for the metal, because everything inside is melted and ruined. It certainly can't be repaired - but I guess at night they couldn't see that. But they did save us $10 - $25 that it would have cost us to have it taken away. We realize that we were very fortunate. It could have been much more serious. The whole wall and things stored around the dryer could have caught fire if Dianne wouldn't have seen it. And at least we know that our smoke detector works. The Lord protected. All that we lost was a dryer. And I admit, it was my fault. I never got around to cleaning out the vent line this Fall. There is no excuse for that ... except being too busy. Now we need to get rid of the smell and find time to go shopping for a new one. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn't slow down. Tuesday Dianne starts teaching her Bible study and we will need to find time to shop for a dryer. I need to get caught up with the church giving records. Later this week we have two, and possibly more, doctor appointments scheduled. I also just found out that I must replace at least two folks on our election board and that is so hard to do. We have Awana and two other appointments on the calendar. And then there is the probability of that dreaded four letter word - SNOW. So life keeps coming and we keep going. But we are so thankful for God's care and protection and know He will be with us no matter what is ahead. One of my favorite verses in the KJV says, "Thou compasseth my path and my lying down and art acquainteth with all my ways." (Psalm 139:3) Well, I better get back to work. The smell is still strong from the fire. But February is coming - maybe things will slow down then. Probably not!

No comments: