Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Sad Day

I will never forget the evening that I received the phone call that nobody ever wants to receive. My son called to tell me that my parents were in an auto accident and that my mother was killed instantly. Even though that was nearly two decades ago, the memory of that moment will never be forgotten. Who among us hasn't feared having this happen to them, especially when the phone rings in the middle of the night. Or when the phone rings and we know that one of our loved ones is overdue in arriving. This weekend, four parents received such a call telling them that their son was killed in an auto accident. In an instant these families had their lives dramatically changed. In case you are not from the Lancaster area, let me recap what happened. On Sunday morning these four members of the Manheim Central football team were apparently speeding when their car skidded, hit another car, and all four were killed. The boys were in grades 9, 10 and 11. All four were well known in the local community and were part of one of the best small town football programs in the state. The whole town and area mourns for them. Ironically, last August, another Manheim Central football player was also killed in an auto accident after his car went off the road and hit a house. Five players gone in less than six months. As I watch the continuing news coverage of this tragedy there are numerous reactions that have come to my mind. First, why do so many people - especially young people - tempt fate by speeding and breaking the law? I guess they think they are invincible and obeying the laws is not for them. Second, none of us, young or old, know what a day may bring so we should live each day as though it could be our last. We need to spend time with our loved ones - I was so glad that I went to see my mother the night before she was killed. We need to be sure that our spiritual lives are right before the Lord. I can't help but wonder if any of these boys knew the Lord as Savior. Third, we need to realize that death is final. I've watched several TV interviews with grieving students who are praying for those who died. Unfortunately, it is now too late to pray for them Their eternal fate is now final and can't be changed. Fourth, I feel so sad for the families left behind. Nobody expects their children to die before them and these young men seemed to have such promising futures. While time will provide some healing, these families will never be the same. But I have one more observation that makes me so sad. Football is supposed to build character and mold boys into men. At least that is what they say. Well the story is that before their final ride, the boys were at a restaurant for a breakfast for the football team. My question is why was that football gathering held on a Sunday morning? It would seem to me that a better character developing activity would have been to allow these young men to attend Sunday morning services, or better yet, attend as a team. It would appear that attending church is no longer important when a team schedules a team event that prevents its members from worship. I guess attending Sunday morning services is no longer politically correct, manly, or even character building. And if this is really the case, to me that becomes the biggest tragedy in this sad event.

No comments: