Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Meaningless Words

There are a few little things that people say that really bother me. One of those is when people pass me, especially at church, and say "how are you doing?" Then they keep on walking away before you can give an answer. Obviously they don't care how I am doing and really don't want to know. So often we are guilty of saying things which we really don't mean or don't intend to do. Here are a few examples.
* (after giving directions) ...you can't miss it.
* I never watch television except PBS.
* The engine is supposed to make that noise.
* Just ignore him -- he's never bitten anyone.
* Don't worry, I can get another 40 miles when the gauge is on "empty."
* It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing.
* You get this one and I'll pay next time.
* I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
* I'll call you right back.
* Don't worry.
* I don't need a nice ring when you ask me to marry you.
* I will pay you back next week.
* I'll be there in 5 minutes.
* No, your driver's license picture looks fine.
* The dog ate my homework.
* This car is just like new.
* Guaranteed to last a lifetime.
* This will pay for itself the first time you use it.
* We don't need to stop for directions. I know exactly where we are.
* Congratulations! You've just won an all expense paid trip to the destination of your choice. Absolutely free! No strings attached.

* Sadly, "I'll be praying for you." Several women in a church prayer group were visiting an elderly friend who was ill. After awhile they rose to leave and told her; "We'll do what we can to help. We promise to keep you in our prayers." "Just do something more useful like wash the dishes in the kitchen," the ailing woman said, "I can do my own praying."

When my mother died folks kept saying to us, "If there is anything we can do, please let us know." We knew that most of them didn't really mean that. So we started answering them by suggesting that they take dad out for a meal once in awhile. Most never did.

So how are you doing? Have a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least 1 person did;because I took him out to dinner.

Barry said...

I'm very sorry about that "anonymous". I owe you an apology. Whoever you are, I say "thank you". I guess I wasn't aware of that. I've modified the blog to say most never did. It's comforting to know somebody did in addition to a few who took him out because he did their taxes for them without charging them.