Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

In Everything Give Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that you didn't eat too much. Here are a few signs that you might have: (1) Paramedics bring in the Jaws of Life to pry you out of the recliner; (2) You receive a Sumo Wrestler application in your e-mail; (3) You set off 3 earthquake seismographs on your morning jog Friday; (4) Pricking your finger for cholesterol screening only yielded gravy; (5) That rash on your stomach turns out to be steering wheel burn; (6) Your arms are too short to reach the keyboard & delete this. And a little Thanksgiving trivia as well. Why do Pilgrims have trouble keeping their pants up? 'Cause they wear their belts on their hats! Why do turkeys eat so little? Because they are always stuffed. What did the mother turkey say to her disobedient children? If your father could see you now, he'd turn over in his gravy! How do you keep a turkey in suspense? I'll tell you at Christmas. But we all know that Thanksgiving is not about eating, even though we look forward to that and enjoy it. It obviously is about being thankful. One child was asked what he was thankful for. His answer? " I'm thankful that I'm not a turkey." But seriously, here are several things that I am thankful for. (1) My salvation and my relationship with God. Nothing in this world compares to that and yet we so often forget about it. Thank you Jesus for all you've done, thank you Lord. (2) My wife. Next to my salvation, this is the greatest gift that I have ever received. We've shared over 49 years of marriage and they have all been wonderful. (3) My family. The Lord has blessed us with three great sons and daughter-in-laws and seven wonderful grandchildren. We love them all and rejoice in the fact that all have asked Jesus to be their Savior. What more could a parent ask for? (4) My health. While I do have some health issues - as most seniors do - I thank the Lord that for over 70 years I have not had serious issues that have sidelined me. (5) My heritage. The Lord has blessed me with previous generations who have served the Lord, set a good example for me and have influenced me. This is a gift that not too many folks have and I am reminded of that daily. (6) Ministry. I am thankful for many years of opportunities to serve the Lord. And while those opportunities seem to decrease as one gets older and you are no longer needed or wanted, I am thankful that the Lord has still provided several for me. And an added blessing is that most of those can be done with my wife and often with other family members. Now I could list many more, but these are the key ones. I'm often reminded of the song that says, "count your many blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings, see what God hath done." If you haven't done that today, take time now to begin counting and thanking God for all that He has done for you. "I will thank you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High" (Psalm 9:1-2, New Living Translation).

No comments: