Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Ride Of Contrasts

It was an interesting ride. We needed a runner for our Awana van and we couldn't find anyone to help us out. So I had to fill in. Now that's a job for a younger man, not one who is approaching 71! Climbing in and out of the van at each stop, disciplining some of the riders, and putting up with all the noise was tolerable a few years ago, but at this age ..... Anyway, it is an interesting ride. Our first stop was an inner-city location. It was an extra warm night for March and people were seated outside on their steps. Kids were running and playing. Music was loud. It seemed like a mini United Nations. It was considerably different than neighborhoods than I had ever lived in. It probably is an experience that all of our leaders should have since it gives you a perspective of where some of our clubbers come from. When we left that area we drove through more suburban neighborhoods that more of us could relate to. Then we traveled through an area filled with mansions, including Wheatland, the former home of President James Buchanan. What a contrast. I would love to go through some of these mansions. These folks must have staff to take care of their properties. Next we drove through more commercial type neighborhoods - large stores, shopping plazas, fast food restaurants, and similar establishments, many of which were no longer occupied. Finally, as we approached our church we passed scenic rural areas and even fields of cattle. These farms and pastures are what many folks picture when they think of Lancaster County. It was amazing to me that during a 30 minute drive we could see such contrasts. But I also realized that all of these areas - with the exception of the pastures - are really mission fields filled with people who need to know the Lord. And the Lord has given us this fertile area to reach folks of all cultures, all races, and all social levels. And that might have been a reminder that I needed and it actually made the ride for this 70 year-old a little easier. Thank the Lord for our van drivers who run this route every week and for dedicated leaders who share love and the Gospel with these van riders each Wednesday. However, hopefully I've learned what I needed to be reminded of and in the future, maybe some younger men can take this trip and be reminded as well.

1 comment:

Will Harris said...

I enjoyed reading "A Ride Of Contrasts." I agree with you...that sometimes with need to take "rides",in order to have our eyes opened to the harvest field. Lancaster County is more culturally diverse then we want to admit.