Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Boring


When my boys used to say something was boring I would tell them that boring is a state of mind and that they should find something constructive to do.  Well today I will need to take my own advice since this may be one of the most boring days of my life.  For the 16th election I am serving as Judge of Elections for my precinct.  It is a primary which is usually of little interest to anyone.  But this time there are no contests at all on the republican ballot and only one on the democratic ballot.  For many of the positions nobody is even running, including me.  I have chosen not to run again for Judge of Elections.  So why would anybody even come to vote?  If we have 200 voters show up today I will be surprised.  So for 15 hours I will need to find things to keep myself awake - probably some reading, some writing, some talking and some eating.  The good news is that I have a great team of workers and they bring great food.  Generally, in my estimation, primaries are not only a waste of time but a real waste of our tax money.  After 16 elections I still get upset with the regulations.  For example, yesterday when I set up my precinct I was required to post  10 sample ballots, 10 brochures on how to vote, an election news poster, an introduction to voting poster, 3 notices of voter rights, 3 individual rights under federal law posters, 3 notices of prohibitions and penalties. three poster of general information and instructions about voting rights and responsibilities of elected officers and one poster about election officers and provisional ballot procedures.  Most of these are in English and Spanish.  These are in addition to required signs concerning cell phones, entrances and exits.  Now have you ever read any of these when you voted?  Some do check the sample ballots but nobody ever reads the others.  What a waste of money and time.  Then today I will need to deal with all sorts of forms and envelopes.  I have forms for statements of complaints, provisional ballots (labels, envelopes, forms), voter registration, affidavit of voter ID, election officer oaths (two), affirmation of elector forms and envelope, challenge of absentee elector forms, record of assisted voter form, list and envelope, election affidavits for challenges, numbered list of voters (two), absentee voter ballots and envelope, JBC canceled booth forms, e-scan spoiled ballot forms and envelope, election result forms (four) and payroll form.  Plus I have separate envelopes for opening and closing passwords, keys, zero tapes and MBB's.  Oh yes, we also have forms to give to those who don't use a photo ID - which isn't required anyway.  And finally I have lists of numbers to call when I need help about voters who aren't in our books and also a list of instructions of where everything must go when the polls close.  Now after 16 elections I finally have a rather good idea how to use most of these and I am usually organized.  But I wonder how many precincts and judges ever get all of this done properly. And maybe I'm not doing it right either.  In all of these elections I have never had any feedback at all except when I placed some items in the wrong box after the election and also from some democrats who refused to show a photo ID.  I guess working with the public you need to expect that you will never be told that you do a good job.  The only feedback you will hear will be negative.  But elections are typical of government bureaucracy - plenty of paper work and regulations and wasted money.  My recommendations?  First, have parties conduct primaries by mail.  Second, hire somebody to devise a plan to eliminate or at least reduce all the paper work and regulations.   My personal solution?  Don't run for reelection.  That is what I have chosen.  One more election to go in November and then I will "retire".  Seventeen will be enough.  I will miss seeing many of the regular voters and I will miss working with my good team.  But that is all ... except maybe the food!  I think I'll try to take a nap.
P.S. - We had a grand total of 78 voters today!   That is less than a 4% turn-out.  Unbelievable!  For our precinct alone that is probably about $13 a voter that we taxpayers will have to pay for this election.  And that doesn't even include the costs of training, equipment, ballots, posters, rovers, technicians and election board staff.  That is a very high cost for voter apathy.  Let's not be too quick to put all the blame on government when citizens don't do their share.

No comments: