Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Buckle Up!

Almost three weeks ago we were traveling south on 501 from Lititz, headed for 30.  We pulled onto the ramp, behind a van, waiting for the traffic to clear on 30, after the light changed.  When it finally changed, the lady in front of us pulled out and I pulled out.  Seconds later she jammed on her brakes - I still don't know why.  Dianne screamed and I hit the brakes to avoid an accident.  The seat belt pulled tight across Dianne's chest and she had trouble breathing.  Later I took her to the doctor who felt nothing was broken.  But a few days later the pain got worse and the doctor sent her for x-rays, all of which were negative.  It was diagnosed as a very bad bruise, even though there are no visible signs of bruising. But, despite the pain pills and muscle relaxers, the pain has continued.  She's been unable to sleep in bed for over two weeks.  Now as I write this blog there is some improvement, but she is still in pain.  I am just amazed at how much damage a seat belt can do, especially at just a couple of miles per hour.  But who knows what might have happened without the belt - maybe she would have hit the windshield, although I can't imagine that happening at that speed.  As I've searched the internet I've found that seat belt injuries are common and often very serious.  But I think the alternatives to wearing a belt can be much more serious, especially in a serious accident.  And I am amazed at the number of people of all ages who don't wear them.  I often have had to tell adults riding in my car to buckle up.  Some just won't do it or they wear them incorrectly.  Young folks often refuse to wear them - I guess they feel they are invincible.  And yet it is the law.  And folks who fail to wear them are breaking the law.  It is so sad to see born again Christians who have this attitude and willingly break the law.  When I read about auto fatalities I often look to see what it says about the use of seat belts.  Quite often the victims were not wearing their belt and that contributed to their death.  So despite this bad experience with belts, those who ride in my car will be asked to wear theirs.  First, it is the law and as a Christian willfully disobeying would be sin. And I don't want to be prosecuted for the sins of one of my passengers.  Second, despite the risks, the possible alternatives could be much worse.  So buckle up!

No comments: