Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Driving In Snow


       I've reached the point in life where I really no longer enjoy driving in snow.  I've never liked driving on ice, but at one time I didn't mind the snow.  When I was in high school I delivered medical goods in a three county area for a local supply company and that often meant driving in snow.  So I did gain valuable experience as a young driver.  Later when our boys were reaching driving age we had an old, used VW Bug, the kind with the engine in the back.  I used to really enjoy driving that through the snow.  It was easy to handle and, since the body was not in great shape, you didn't need to worry about getting any new dents.
       But the main reason I no longer enjoy it is mainly because of the careless, inconsiderate drivers you must deal with in snowy conditions.  They are the ones that concern and scare me.  I think many of them fall into several categories:  (1)  Those who've never experienced an accident in snow; (2)  Those who think their four wheel drive will protect them;  (3)  Those who think their quick reaction skills will protect them;  (4)  Those who are just plain careless;  (5)  Those who are scared to be on the road and by their poor skills and extra slow driving make it bad for everyone else.
       During the snowstorm on January 21 we had three appointments scheduled.  While two of them were eventually rescheduled, we still had a morning doctor visit to make.  On the way, at the corner of King St. and Mulberry St. in Lancaster, I needed to make a left turn.  I pulled into the turning lane as the light changed to yellow and I stopped, as the law requires.  As I did, the truck behind me passed me on the right and made a left hand turn right in front of me, even though the light was now red.  So dangerous in any weather but worse with the snow falling and the roads becoming slippery.  On the way home, in Millersville, I needed to turn left off Route 999.  I turned on my turn signal half a block before the turn, but the young driver behind me decided to tailgate me, despite the fact that the roads now were very slippery.  Fortunately he didn't hit me as I turned, but even though I was barely moving, we went into a skid that turned our car 180 degrees.  I thank the Lord that nobody was coming the other way and that the guy behind me missed me.
       About a week earlier when the roads contained some black ice, another driver rode my bumper out 999 and then on to Donerville Road. I probably should have let him pass me. I was maintaining the speed limit, but suddenly on a stretch where passing was not permitted, he chose to pass me.  I guess that was better than having him hit me from behind if we hit a patch of ice.  But these are some of the reasons I now prefer to stay off the road when it snows.  Some people are just nuts.
       I did have two accidents in my early 20's that were caused by bad weather.  One was early in our married life when a truck pulled out in front of me outside of Sunbury.  I was unable to stop in time because of the snow and I hit him in the back.  I don't recall that he had any real damage but our car had to have some repairs.  The second time was earlier and happened at night when it was icy.  We were using my father-in-law's car to take me to my grandparents where I was staying overnight.  Approaching a stop sign , we slid when I applied the breaks.  We lightly tapped the car stopped in front of us.  The only damage to either car was that one of the radio buttons popped off .  We placed it back on without any problem.  But the worst part of that event was having to call my father-in-law and tell him what had happened.  The call went fine, but it was not fun making the call, not at all.
       I guess there are times that you just can't avoid having to travel, although I do recall once making a two-hour night trip to Sunbury, in a blinding snowstorm, all alone, to visit Dianne.  I can't imagine that my parents were too thrilled about that and I guess it was rather dangerous.  So maybe I should add a sixth category to the five I mentioned earlier.  (6)  Those who are young and either in love, or foolish, or both.   Drive carefully!

No comments: