Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolutions for 2014


It's time for resolutions for 2014.  Have you made yours?  Now I never make them.  If I did I would soon break them anyway.  But I am thinking that this year could be different, so maybe I should give it a try.  Now the buzz word today is tolerance and what that usually means is you are intolerant if you hold a viewpoint different than mine.  That's especially true if your viewpoints are based on the teachings of the Bible.  But maybe I should try to be more tolerant of some other things.  So let me try.

I will try to be tolerant (1) of those who suddenly stop in front of me or walk directly in front of me when I am taking my daily walk at Park City;  ... (2)  of those who are late for everything, while I am "patiently" waiting; ...  (3)  of those who say "how are you?" and don't really care or even want an answer; ... (4)  of those doctors who tell me to come 15 minutes early for an appointment to fill out papers and then make me wait 30 - 45 more minutes until they actually see me; ... (5)  of those drivers who turn left from the right hand lane, sometimes without even a signal; ...  (6)  of those drivers (especially women) who suddenly slow down in front of me to text or to talk on their cellphones; ...  (6)  of those drivers who tailgate me when I am going the speed limit; ...  (7)  of those who don't follow obvious instructions or meet deadlines; ... (8)  of those who don't answer my e-mails, at least in a reasonable time frame; ... (9)  of those grocery store  packers who put my bread or rolls on the bottom of the bag or won't pack my large items in my heavy cloth bags; ...  (10)  of those who throw their fast food containers and beer bottles on my front lawn; ....  (11)  of those who bother me at supper time trying to improve my credit or change my electric supplier, or sell me something else;  ...  (12)  of the Phillies who continually disappoint me; ....  (13)  of those speeding drivers who don't slow down when I am trying to get the mail out of our roadside mailbox; ... (14)  of drivers who take two parking spaces to park their car; ...  (15)  of sellers on ebay who sell me a jigsaw puzzle with a piece missing; ...  (16)  of "tolerant proponents" who are really intolerant; ...  (17)  ?????
That's enough for one year, I better quit.  I get exhausted just thinking about making all of those changes.  And the more I think about it, the more I realize that there is really no way I could keep all of them ... or for that matter, any of them.  And maybe I really don't want to.
So, instead, I will make just one resolution for the new year - one that I know I can keep.  Here it is - I resolve not to make any resolutions for 2014.  

No comments: