Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day By Day



        Last week we were stunned to see a friend of ours have a heart attack during an evening service at Pinebrook.  We prayed as folks gave him CPR until the ambulance arrived.  Just moments before he had given his testimony of  how he came to know the Lord.  It was such a vivid reminder of how we never know what a day may bring.  I recall receiving the word that my mother was killed in an auto accident.  I remember how I found my father minutes after he had passed away.  I remember receiving word that several of my friends had been told that they had serious physical diseases.  I remember being told that I had prostate cancer and recently that I needed cervical spine surgery or I might become paralyzed.  Last week we received word that my wife needed heart surgery which she had on Monday. I remember 911 and President Kennedy being killed. Events that change our lives happen unexpectedly.  As I said, we never know what a day may bring.  As I've thought about such unexpected events the song "Your Faithfulness" by Brian Doerksen kept coming back to my mind.

I don't know what this day will bring
Will it be disappointing, filled with longed for things?
I don't know what tomorrow holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness
I don't know if these clouds mean rain
If they do, will they pour down blessing or pain?
I don't know what the future holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness

          The song began days before the birth of the Doerksen's sixth child.  Several years before they had found that their son had "Fragile X syndrome", a permanent condition that caused severe development delays and other big challenges. Knowing that the syndrome is passed genetically through the mother, and having four daughters and one son, they decided to take a 'step of faith' to try and have one more child. They hoped and prayed for a son who would not be affected with the syndrome.  As the due date approached Brian found himself becoming more and more overwhelmed by the uncertainties of life and he asked himself, "Is there anything I can count on in life?" As he began to pour out his heart at the piano, this song spilled out amid his tears with the assurance that there is only one thing we can really count on, even when we don't understand - the faithfulness of God. Their sixth child, a son, was born with this disease. 
            Sometimes even our faithful God does not shield us from the problems of humanity, but He does give us the us the strength to face them in His power. We don't know what a day may bring, but we have the presence of God Almighty who is ever faithful.  The older I get, the more I remember to start each day by thanking the Lord for another day and asking Him to give me the strength and wisdom I need to handle whatever He has planned for me in the coming hours.

When darkness overwhelms my soul
When thoughts and storms of doubt
Still I trust You are always faithful, always faithful
Certain as the rivers reach the sea
Certain as the sunrise in the east
I can rest in your faithfulness
Surer than a mother's tender love
Surer than the stars still shine above
I can rest in your faithfulness
I don't know what this day will bring
Will it be disappointing, filled with longed for things?
I don't know what tomorrow holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness

No comments: