Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Invest Information


Once again we've passed that time that is dreaded by so many - the deadline for filing federal and state income taxes.  Now I don't really dread that at all.  Our taxes were filed the beginning of March and by the middle of the month I had received and invested our refund.  But since we did owe state tax this year I held that return and filed it just before the deadline.  Then it's all over for another year.
          Recently a Steve Sanderson sent me some important information about investments.  I had shared this on my Awana website, but in case you didn't see it there, I felt that it might be worth sharing this in my blog for those who didn't see it.  
          There are some key definitions listed here that you should know if you are an investor. And you won't find this help anywhere else.  So study it carefully.

A GUIDE TO THE WORLD OF INVESTMENTS 

STOCK: A magical piece of paper that is worth $33.75 until the moment you buy it. It will then be worth $8.50. 


BOND: What you had with your spouse until you pawned his/her golf clubs to invest in Amazon.com. 

BROKER: The person you trust to help you make major financial decisions. Please note the first five letters of this word spell "Broke."

BEAR: What your trade account and wallet will be when you take a flyer on that 
hot stock tip your coworker gave you.

BULL: What your broker uses to explain why your mutual funds tanked during the last quarter. 

MARGIN: Where you scribble the latest quotes when you're supposed to be listening to your manager's presentation. 

SHORT POSITION: A type of trade where, in theory, a person sells stocks he doesn't actually own. Since this also only ever works in theory, a short position is what a person usually ends up being in (e.g., "The rent, sir?   Hahaha, well, I'm a little short this month."). 

COMMISSION: The only reliable way to make money on the stock market, which is 
why your broker charges you one. 

YAK: What you do into a pail when you discover your stocks have plunged and your broker is making a margin call.

There you have what you need, so get busy and invest away!

No comments: