Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mall Observations


          I  recently had about an hour to do one of my favorite things - people watching.  My wife was doing some shopping at Park City and since I had already completed my daily walk there I decided to grab a seat in the center mall and just observe what was happening.  During that time I made numerous observations, but here are just ten of the things that I noticed.

(1)   A few people stopped at the Bake Shop where they sell expensive cup cakes.  But all that I saw purchase them there were at least 50 pounds overweight.  Is that a cause and effect relationship?

(2)   The economy must be much better than I realized since the busiest shop was the coffee shop.  Folks continually stopped there to purchase all sorts of fancy, over priced coffee combinations.  I think the least expensive item - regular coffee - was $3.75.  They must make the most profit of any of the stores in the mall.  And people need their fancy coffee fix.

(3)    I did need to make a visit to a restroom and I felt very much ill at ease there since there was a young boy who was playing around in there, unattended.  I felt very uncomfortable in this day and age when it is common to have folks make claims of sexual misconduct.  In fact, Awana now has a new policy for its major events. Children and adults may not be in a rest room at the same time.   How sad it is that we have reached such a point in this sinful society.


(4)    Along the same line, while I was seated in the mall, a father passed me pushing his young son in a stroller.  The toddler waved to me so I waved back.  Then I saw the father give me a nasty look.  I guess it's dangerous to even smile or wave to a youngster today.

(5)    And while I am on the subject of children, I was shocked at the number of youngsters who were running around and appeared to be unattended.  What a dangerous situation in a day when children are sometimes kidnapped.  And, likewise, what a sad situation when parents don't control and discipline their children.

(6)    It appears that anything goes today with the way people dress in public.  The clothing ranged from those who looked like they were going to a formal banquet to those who must have just come out of the garden. Amish to Muslim and many different cultures. Multicolored hair is in and so are piercings and skin. And torn jeans and saggin pants are still in.

(7)    You could also tell that summer is coming.  Push-up bras and low necklines were prevalent and revealed much more than one really needed to see.

(8)    We really have become international.  The number of different languages that were heard there was amazing.  The days of just English and Pennsylvania Dutch are long gone.

(9)    There are some very boring jobs there.  I can't imagine sitting all day at a Bathfitter display or a Cabinet Refinishing display or a few of the others.  I guess some folks really need the work and are willing to spend their days doing that.

(10)   What did people do before smart phones and cell phones?  A large percentage of the shoppers were talking and texting as they walked and shopped.  Some were talking out loud and you could even listen to their "private" conversations.  I guess folks can no longer stand to be alone, even for a few minutes.

          It was an interesting hour and provided me with an interesting, but sometimes sad view of our changing society.  But I guess my biggest observation during that time was that the masses who passed by needed the Lord.  I couldn't help but think of the words of Steve Green's song, "Everyday they pass me by, I can see it in their eyes. Empty people filled with care, Headed who knows where?  On they go through private pain, Living fear to fear. Laughter hides their silent cries, Only Jesus hears.  People need the Lord, people need the Lord. At the end of broken dreams, He's the open door. People need the Lord, people need the Lord. When will we realize, people need the Lord?"  And that is a haunting and challenging observation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Not so much at Park City but at Cherry Hill Mall near to where we used to live in NJ, I did a lot of people watching. It's an interesting and sometimes amusing way to spend some time. As you pointed out, however, it can also be cause for concern.