Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm Saving Money!

Yesterday I saved several hundred dollars - at least I think I did.  I had an automatic delivery of heating oil - 139 gallons, about 30 gallons less than we usually get at this time of the year.  I guess our conservation, or living in frigid temperatures, has made a difference.  Now if my hands thaw out I can write a check to pay for the delivery.  Actually, I am not really telling the whole story.  You may remember how I originally locked in at $5.20 per gallon last August.  Then, after pushing the issue with my dealer, I was able to get a better price of $4.74.  My last delivery at that price cost me $791.77.  But then a few weeks ago, when I heard how low prices had dropped, I decided to exercise a clause in my contract which allowed me to break the contract for a fee of $599.  I figured that I could still save $500 to $1000 during 2009 by doing that.  Well, yesterday I had my first delivery on my new contract and my bill was $330.21 which is a savings of $328.65 over my previous contract price.  So I only need to save $270 more to break even.  And actually it is a savings of almost $400 over my first contract price.  So, thank the Lord, my heating bills won't be nearly as bad as I had expected.  And I am really even saving more since I wrote a very kind letter to the manager of my heating company in which I admitted that the choice had been mine.  I did kindly suggest some alternative approaches that they could consider for the next heating season.  After receiving the letter they contacted me and were actually  appreciative of my letter - they apparently have been receiving many calls and letters that haven't been very kind.  They told me that they couldn't legally waive the buy-out fee, but they helped me renegotiate a contract and actually provided a few other very nice concessions.  So the moral of the story is that it can be good to make contacts with a company over such issues. Don't assume that nothing can be done.  But it should be done in a positive way - the way that you would hope that a Christian might react.  Sometimes kind words can make a difference.  So maybe I can now turn up my thermostat and let my fingers thaw out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great the way you went about communicating with the oil company. Kindness is never overrated, right? A good thought for 2009 for me as I do some attitude checks! Thanks so much Barry!