Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Special Surprise

One of the signs that you are getting old might be that you love to watch the birds - maybe it's just that when you are retired you have the time to do this  Several years ago we added a number of bird feeders and over the years we have enjoyed watching a wide variety of birds come for their feeding.  There have been so many different types that we've lost track of all that we've observed. I've especially enjoyed the woodpeckers and the cardinals. But a few months ago things changed.  Suddenly we had very few birds visiting us anymore.  It was frustrating.  Maybe the hawks discovered our feeding site.  Maybe our neighbor's new feeder was more attractive.  Maybe our food and suet was not good enough.  We don't know why, but suddenly we had very few birds.  Last week I went out and bought more expensive food - wow does that get to be expensive!  But it didn't seem to make a difference.  Then yesterday afternoon I was taken back when I passed our kitchen window and saw a special sight - three beautiful bluebirds were eating our suet.  As I called Dianne to watch, dozens of birds, of various varieties, filled our feeders and our tree.  It was such a special surprise and we watched for about 30 minutes.  Did the threat of bad weather bring them back?  I really have no answer.  Then, suddenly, they all disappeared again.  Was there a hawk nearby?  Will they return?  I don't know, but I certainly hope they come back today.  It is so amazing to watch this beautiful part of God's creation - so many different shapes and colors.  Every time I watch them I am thankful for God's creation but I also think about how God cares for each of them.  And if His eye is even on the little sparrow, then certainly He can care for us.   So despite family challenges and a deepening recession, why should I worry.  He is God and He cares for each of us.  He will provide what we need, when we need it.   So take time to watch the birds - not only is that relaxing, but it should provide you with a daily reminder that all of us need - God does care for us.

No comments: