Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Referendum

A few years ago a change in the law made it mandatory for school districts in the state to hold a referendum if their proposed budget increase was over a certain percentage.  Taxpayers applauded this new requirement but school boards worried about how this could eliminate future expenditures for major needs. Nobody will ever vote for a tax increase.  Until this week no referendums have been needed in the state.  But this week the a local school district had to go to the voters for money for a much needed new high school building and improvements to aging elementary buildings.  I have no personal attachment to this district but since it is a neighboring school I have watched with interest their boards operate for a number of years.  The boards have generally been ultraconservative and to keep taxes at a bare minimum they have continually eliminated many requests not only for expansion of programs and staff but more importantly for future care and expansion of their buildings.  Now this history has caught up to them and some buildings are outdated and in need of costly repair and their classrooms are overcrowded.  The projected need to correct this situation is $114 million.  Wow!  And the taxpayers, as expected, turned it down by a 2-1 vote.  It was interesting that the opposition to the proposal was actually led by some former school directors whose past decisions contributed to this problem.  So, by law, the taxpayers had their say.  Now what do they do?  I guess they go back to the drawing board and find a cheaper plan to get by.  Their high school is over 50 years old - not equipped for today's modern technology or needs.  They are using 18 portable classrooms and will probably need more.  Some buildings are really in need of repair  It is interesting that the night of the referendum the heating system in one of the elementary buildings went bad.  They have not been able to hold school in that building for the past three days.  That is some indication of the situation.  Well I am glad that I am not a teacher there - I would be looking for a job elsewhere.  I am glad that I am not a parent there - I would be looking to move or to put my child in a private school.  I am glad that I am not a home owner there - who would want to buy my home n this district and what will happen to property values?  I am glad that I am not a resident there - there is much disunity and anger in what was a nice, quiet community.  It is a district without many of the problems of city schools, but its political and economic problems are considerable.  I will continue to watch with interest the developments there.  Is the referendum law good?  I guess it depends on which side of the issue you stand or if you have school directors who are progressive enough to plan and budget carefully for future needs rather than always cut everything new. Saving money is good.  But, it often just delays the inevitable and then you must pay the price or live with the consequences.  This may not be your district, but please understand, a referendum might soon be coming to you.

No comments: