Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Ramblings

Some random thoughts on a lazy Saturday afternoon ... it sure was cold last night.  Our thermometer read 4.7 when we went to bed - not sure how low it actually went ... tomorrow is my "baby" sister's birthday - she sure looks like our mother.  Happy birthday, Kendy ... a few days ago we saw a car with a license plate that said "BikiniGal".  Dianne and I both laughed when we passed the car - I guess an 80+ female could be a bikini gal, but it wasn't quite what we expected ... it is sad to see so many seniors buying lottery tickets of all types when we walk at Park City each morning - but then the Democratic bail-out plans don't provide any of the billions to be given away for retired seniors on fixed incomes - maybe I should start buying - not really ... if we are in a recession, why does the tobacco shop at Park City always have so many customers - maybe topped only by the expensive coffee shops? ... nobody asked me, but I'd love to see an Eagles-Steelers Super Bowl.  Wouldn't it be neat if they could play it at Beaver Stadium?  Oh well, it will probably be the Cardinals and the Ravens - my teams haven't done too well recently ... we had four deer in our yard last week.  We haven't had deer here in decades.  They may have been lost ... and the blue birds have become regulars at our feeders.  Unfortunately, many of the other birds haven't returned ... wasn't that an amazing picture of the survivors standing on the wings of the airplane in the middle of the Hudson River?  What a tragedy it would have been to survive the crash then slide off the wing and drown in the Hudson River! ... yesterday I met a high school classmate of mine who had owned a Dodge dealership until a year ago.  Every car I ever bought I bought from him. Unexpectedly he received an offer to sell and he surprised everyone by doing so.  How fortunate was his timing - I wouldn't want to own such a dealership today ... I already miss college football - next September seems so far away ... We've begun our annual adopt-a-club campaign to raise $3,360 to support our 14 adopted Awana clubs.  We are using our puppets again to generate interest and it is really special to work with our three boys and some of our grandchildren.  They are so good and so creative.  It also brings back great memories of our 26+ years of our family ministry ... we've enjoyed watching the Farm Show on TV this week.  I'm glad that we weren't part of the crowd that had to wait yesterday outside in the bitter cold for over an hour for a shuttle bus.  We didn't experience their great food, but we were much warmer and more comfortable at home in our easy chairs ... I'm also glad that I'm not in the mountains at Pinebrook this weekend.  Some of our grandkids are there with our youth for Sno-Glo.   Burr!   But I guess when I was half a century younger, the weather wouldn't have bothered me either! ... then there is the most recent research that shows that five out of every four students have trouble with fractions ... I've also been wondering why a person who handles your money is called a "broker".  Thanks for stopping by - keep warm! 

No comments: