Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things Forgotten, Things Remembered

There  are many things that you tend to forget as you age.  For me, one of these is all those mornings for 39 years of getting up every day at 5:45 am. or earlier to go to work.  Now I have gotten up at that hour several times since I retired, especially when we had trips to make (or times I couldn't sleep).  But this week the experience I'd like to forget is back.  For a little over a week we are caring for two of our teenage grandchildren while their parents attend a convention.  And that means daily early morning trips to take them to school in an adjoining district.  Yes, people are alive at that hour.  Another thing I've forgotten is how teens eat.  I am reminded of the days, with three sons at home, that we had to try to hide some of the food when we came home from a shopping trip.  Even so, they always found it, and it disappeared quickly.   I think this week we've only made four trips to the grocery store with a few days yet to go.   I've also forgotten about the times of being a chauffeur - to school, practices, games, lessons, youth activities, etc.  Of course, we were a quarter of a century younger then.  But there are also some things that I do remember and don't want to forget.  I have such great memories of visits and vacations with my grandparents. They were special times that influenced my life, times I never want to forget.   I was fortunate to have grandparents who cared for me and loved me.  I even had the special privilege of spending many weekends staying with my grandparents when I was in college.  But those times are now gone forever although the memories and lessons I learned still are part of me.  Do I mind the early hours this week?  Do I mind the large food bills?   Do I mind the constant running around?  The answer to these questions is a definite NO.  I might be a little tired, but I love it.  These are times of making new memories for us and for our grandchildren.  I hope that we can have a positive influence on their lives as my grandparents did for me.  I hope that they will understand what Grammy and Pop Pop really value in life.   I hope that years from now they will look back and remember the times that we spent together - times that passed by so quickly.  Both are now teens and visits with grandparents will soon be just fleeting memories.  Unfortunately, we can't stop the clock.  Life goes on and things change ... things forgotten ... things remembered ... beautiful experiences which God allows us to have.

No comments: