Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Democratic Way

I am sitting in our voting precinct, trying to keep awake.  I am Judge of Elections and am responsible for making sure all the rules and government regulations are followed.  When we close tonight at 8 pm I will have absentee ballots to handle, dozens of forms to complete and envelopes lettered A to Z to stuff with forms.  That is in addition to running several tapes on the three machines and completing four final report forms.  Then we will pack up all the booths, machines, tables, signs and I will drive to Lancaster to turn in all the data.  I've been here since 6 this morning and will get home tonight about 10.  Usually I am swamped with work and the hours go quickly.  During the presidential election we processed over 2,000 voters.  But today is totally different and it is sad.  It is just about 4 pm and we have processed a grand total of 60 voters.  Did you get that?  In nine hours we have had only 60 voters.  Now I realize that there aren't any great contests and it is just a primary but it is sad for me to realize that less than 100 voters are interested enough to express their opinion in the selection of local officials.  And while we often get upset and critical about our leaders,  maybe we get what we deserve.  Wake up Americans - voting is a privilege in a democracy but also a responsibility.  Did you vote?  If not, why not?   Too busy?  Uninformed?   Uninterested?  Is there really a good reason for not doing so?    If I've "scuffed your shine, so be it!"   Well, I voted and I will do my job until we are done tonight because as a citizen of this country I feel it is my obligation and duty - a privilege many have died to preserve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't vote because I was uninformed. That is what frustrates me about local elections. It seems much harder to find out information on local elections than it is when national elections are taking place.