Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Things Most Others Never See

Today we had to drive to New Holland and I was reminded of the many sights that we in Lancaster County take for granted.  We saw miles of beautiful farms and fertile land.   We saw clothes lines filled with clothing, most of which was purple and black.  We saw farmers plowing their fields with their mules.  We saw windmills.  We saw a young man driving on the side of the highway with his open buggy.  We saw a young lady riding her bicycle with a large cart attached to the back - probably headed to a store.  We saw several signs for home-made furniture.  We saw produce stands that will soon be filled with beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables.  We saw beautiful flowers.  But one of the most exciting things that we saw was a large group of men participating in a barn raising.  It was a relaxing and interesting drive.  And it was also a sad reminder of a special culture which is shrinking in the midst of a growing Lancaster County culture which is now marked by drugs and crime.  On the way home we drove through Lancaster City - what a sad contrast!   Lancaster County has been changing drastically, but if you look you can still find a beautiful, simpler lifestyle.  Not all change is good.

No comments: