Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Special Results

If you look hard enough, you can always find some special blessings in times of difficulty.   This year my sister has had to transport and pick up her grandson as he attended afternoon kindergarten.  That has meant a daily roundtrip from Lancaster to Lititz and two hours of waiting for him until school is over.  But those two hours gave her a special chance to spend time each day with dad at his house.  These were special times that she wouldn't have normally had and she didn't realize then how soon dad would be taken home.  When dad began to have health problems in the fall I was often able to join them when we weren't running to Selinsgrove to take care of Dianne's dad.  I usually took dad for medical appointments and blood transfusions but my sister was able to share with some of this.  Even though Terry was not in good health, there were times that he also was able to visit.  Little did we know how soon these special times would end.  After dad's death in February we began to spend almost everyday together cleaning out his house.  I almost feel that I have been living there since that time.  Sometimes Terry was able to visit, although he was too weak to help and would often sit or lay down while we worked and talked. It was special just to have him there.  Sometimes we were also able to visit with him during our time in Lititz.  But as we now reflect upon the past few months we realize that in our times of sadness and concern, the Lord allowed us all to have many special times together that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  These are times and memories that we now cherish.  It is amazing how God can provide special blessings even in very difficult times ... during these times I also had a chance to once again appreciate the very special town of Lititz.  It is a unique community and I do miss living there.  And, on a lighter side, I rediscovered Root's Auction which is only open on Tuesdays.  My drive home each Tuesday took me past this unique auction with its hundreds of stands and many bargains.  I found the best subs I ever had and great bargains on fresh fruits and vegetables and plants. It is just relaxing to walk around and observe the sights and smells of this unusual Lancaster County jewel.   And, yesterday in the drizzle and cold weather, Dianne and I enjoyed hot french fries from Finks!   What a delicious break from the days of stress.  God is so good to us in so many unique ways, but sometimes we allow the clouds of problems to hide his goodness to us.   (P.S. - One of my readers also solved my Facebook problem that I shared on Monday. It's good to know that somebody does read my blog.  Thanks!)

No comments: