Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Things I Wish That I Could Do

So often we take things for granted until we can no longer do them.  Then all we can do is wish.  Right now there are a number of things that I really wish I could do, especially tomorrow.  I wish I could call my mother and tell her what is happening in my life and see how things are going with her.  I wish I could send her some beautiful flowers.  I wish I could give her a special Mother's Day card.  I wish I could sit with her in church and then take her out for a nice meal.  I wish I could talk to her about her mother and learn more about my heritage.  I wish I could ask her to make me some of her special macaroni salad and apricot cake.  I wish that I could hug her and tell her how much I loved her. I wish that I could give her a kiss.  I wish that I could once more say "Happy Mother's Day!"   But I can't.  Those opportunities are gone forever.   Now instead I struggle with giving away her possessions and selling her house, and that is so hard.  And although she is much happier in heaven, living without pain, and reunited with dad, there is a void in my heart - especially at this time of the year.  And for the first time I realize that I am really now an orphan and now the elder in my family. I don't like that thought, but I can't change it.  Life changes so quickly.  So if you are still privileged to have a living mother, please do all the things that I now wish that I could still do.  You might now have the same opportunity a year from now.  Don't delay - do it now.  Don't live with regrets.  Have a Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: