Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Is It A Cause?

If you have read my blogs for any length of time, you know how disgusted I get with folks who are always talking on their cell phones, especially when driving. Now I know that my female readers will get upset with my opinion but I believe that the worst offenders are female. I shudder every time I see a female driving her big SUV with one hand and using the other to hold her cell phone. Recently I even saw one talking while also holding a lit cigarette in the hand on the steering wheel. During the Christmas season I observed many at Park City wheeling through the packed parking lot, looking for a parking place, while talking on their phone. But you've heard that before from me and you know I strongly feel that doing this should be illegal. But today another thought struck me while we were waiting for a store to open at Park City. Half of the waiting crowd, mostly female, were talking on their phones. While I watched this, my mind went back to a news program I recently heard where they were talking about an alarming increase in thyroid cancer in women. And the experts don't know why this is happening. It suddenly struck me that maybe the cause of this might be cell phones. Now I am serious about this. Cell phones are so new that there really can't be any decent research available on such a problem. I have been having difficulty in recent weeks with headaches and I have spent considerable time using a heating pad on my head, neck, and shoulders. When I mentioned this to my doctor he told me that this was very dangerous. He said that one should not use a heating pad more than 30 minutes. I never knew this. When I got home I did some searching on the internet and that confirmed what he was saying. It appears that there could be two bad results of overuse of heating pads. One is that you could cause damage to nerves and that damage can't be reversed. A second is that the heating pad could cause cancer. Now if a heating pad could cause cancer, what about a cell phone? I'm not a doctor or a researcher, so I could be out to lunch with my thoughts. But the increase in cancer of the thyroid in females certainly seems to coincide with the increase in the use of hand-held cell phones by women. So while there is serious danger of auto accidents caused by lack of full attention to driving or lack of control of the steering wheel, maybe there is even a more serious danger to the cell phone user. I for one will no longer use a heating pad for more than 25 minutes, but using a cell phone while driving is not a habit that I must give up. I never do it. Instead I will try to spend my time while driving watching out for the careless driver using her cellphone.

No comments: